Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone had frenuloplasty surgery recently? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in Wales and went to my doctor nearly 3 months ago to check to see if I have a condition called frenulum breve, he confirmed it and said he'd put me in for surgery(frenuloplasty) and I'd have to wait for the dates which could take a couple of months.

I rang the enquiries phone number today to see if I could get a status of what's happening just to stay in the loop. I've been told I'm actually on a first appointments list which I imagine is for a consultation which means it'll take even longer.

However has anyone here ever had it done recently? If so, how long were you waiting for it to have it done on the NHS? Or if you had it done privately, how much did it cost? And if anyone knows how it could be cheaper via health insurance, I'd love to hear how. If you didn't understand what a frenulum breve is or anything I said, google is your friend.

Hi,
    I actually had a frenuloplasty this morning. After the initial urologists appointment where i was told i would have the operation i waited only about a week. I'd heard that you can sometimes get a call asking if your free since there was a cancellation. i got a call yesterday midday asking if i would have it today so it was pretty short notice. Up to that point i was just waiting for a letter in the post.

I don't know if you have had you pre op appointment yet. i had this all done on the NHS by the way. My pre op was pretty casual actually. They checked the usual, height, weight, blood pressure, heart rate and also did swabs for MRSA i think it was. I filled out a questionnaire about my history and stuff and it took about 10 minutes. since i don't have any complicated medical conditions all the further tests like blood test weren't necessary.

This morning i arrived at the ward where i changed into the gown which isn't as bad as people make out and they gave me some strange bandage like boxers to put on. The wait was the worst though. i waited nearly three hours it was really tiring since i had to get up super early and also had to fast from midnight. eventually after they did a couple checks like blood pressure and heart rate the anesthetist spoke to me and i think the surgeon though to be honest i don't know who she was. i was wheeled up to the theater room where i was given general anesthetic which involved having a cannula put into my hand which i didn't enjoy and when they gave me the anesthetic i woke up slightly confused in the recovery room which was kinda funny especially when i saw a clock and noticed i was out for at least an hour and a half. it was strange but that whole bit was quite good. your out before they really do anything, i didn't even see the surgeons beforehand since there's a room just before the actual surgery area where they put me under.

They didn't give me any painkillers though i wouldn't say you need them. it's uncomfortable and a little creepy. there was blood on my gown and its too sore to retract the foreskin without rubbing the stitches. but i don't like blood so maybe that's just me.
    you can't have a bath or shower for at least another day after you go home.

they also want you to go to the toilet before you leave and then they will remove the cannula since your still hooked up to the IV drip.

its important that someone picks you up from the ward. i did't tell anyone and was planning on going home by myself (not driving) but they said that they wouldn't go through with it if i didn't have someone to pick me up.

overall though it was far better than i imagined. i thought it was going to be embarrassing since its in that region of the body. i though they would just start pulling of my gown while they were getting ready to anesthetize me. i was out before they did anything like that. to be honest who cares who saw what in the operating room since i didn't even see anyone and obviously don't remember a thing. i took a dressing gown with me to wear to the toilet but i'd tied my gown pretty tight so it wasn't really necessary.

i hope that helps in some way good luck with your op

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for the thread! I need a frenuloplasty, but am concerned as to possible changes in the mobility of the foreskin and changes in sensitivity of the frenulum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    I actually had a frenuloplasty this morning. After the initial urologists appointment where i was told i would have the operation i waited only about a week. I'd heard that you can sometimes get a call asking if your free since there was a cancellation. i got a call yesterday midday asking if i would have it today so it was pretty short notice. Up to that point i was just waiting for a letter in the post.

I don't know if you have had you pre op appointment yet. i had this all done on the NHS by the way. My pre op was pretty casual actually. They checked the usual, height, weight, blood pressure, heart rate and also did swabs for MRSA i think it was. I filled out a questionnaire about my history and stuff and it took about 10 minutes. since i don't have any complicated medical conditions all the further tests like blood test weren't necessary.

This morning i arrived at the ward where i changed into the gown which isn't as bad as people make out and they gave me some strange bandage like boxers to put on. The wait was the worst though. i waited nearly three hours it was really tiring since i had to get up super early and also had to fast from midnight. eventually after they did a couple checks like blood pressure and heart rate the anesthetist spoke to me and i think the surgeon though to be honest i don't know who she was. i was wheeled up to the theater room where i was given general anesthetic which involved having a cannula put into my hand which i didn't enjoy and when they gave me the anesthetic i woke up slightly confused in the recovery room which was kinda funny especially when i saw a clock and noticed i was out for at least an hour and a half. it was strange but that whole bit was quite good. your out before they really do anything, i didn't even see the surgeons beforehand since there's a room just before the actual surgery area where they put me under.

They didn't give me any painkillers though i wouldn't say you need them. it's uncomfortable and a little creepy. there was blood on my gown and its too sore to retract the foreskin without rubbing the stitches. but i don't like blood so maybe that's just me.
    you can't have a bath or shower for at least another day after you go home.

they also want you to go to the toilet before you leave and then they will remove the cannula since your still hooked up to the IV drip.

its important that someone picks you up from the ward. i did't tell anyone and was planning on going home by myself (not driving) but they said that they wouldn't go through with it if i didn't have someone to pick me up.

overall though it was far better than i imagined. i thought it was going to be embarrassing since its in that region of the body. i though they would just start pulling of my gown while they were getting ready to anesthetize me. i was out before they did anything like that. to be honest who cares who saw what in the operating room since i didn't even see anyone and obviously don't remember a thing. i took a dressing gown with me to wear to the toilet but i'd tied my gown pretty tight so it wasn't really necessary.

i hope that helps in some way good luck with your op
    I think I need this myself after researching online, how did you get the process started? visiting your GP?

(Please could you PM me so that I can ask you other questions?)

ReputationRep:
    Hey to the new people on this thread. So I had my op about a month and a half ago now so I'll answer some questions.

I need a frenuloplasty, but am concerned as to possible changes in the mobility of the foreskin and changes in sensitivity of the frenulum...
    My foreskin mobility has improved dramatically. I am now able to have sex. It still gets sore when I've used a condom (haven't tried without) but I believe the only sore part is the scar where it was cut. And I'm guessing with time that won't be an issue. To put it bluntly my foreskin has changed quite a bit. I'd say I don't really have a frenulum anymore. I'm definitely less sensitive down there. First time trying with my girlfriend, we were going at it for about half an hour and I was nowhere near finishing. It was my first time so I was probably nervous but after that it still takes me about 15-20 minutes to finish which isn't all that bad I guess but it could be just myself personally.

I think I need this myself after researching online, how did you get the process started? visiting your GP?

(Please could you PM me so that I can ask you other questions?)
    I started out by visiting my GP. He had a look at it, said it was tight and put me down to go on the waiting list on the NHS. I'll tell you the full story just so you know my experience and it may answer any questions you may have.

I waited 2 months on the NHS and realised I'd have to wait until September to actually see a consultant and then another 10 weeks after that to have the surgery. This was in Wales but sorry NHS, I wasn't going to wait just over 9 months for a ****ing half an hour surgery. In other words, get ****ed. So I went private. It cost me £941 altogether. The nurses were lovely and treated me with care. I saw a consultant a week after I rang the private hospital, and then because they were fully booked I waited another 3 weeks to have the surgery. It's usually a week or 2 but they said they were unusually busy.

I went in at 3PM, had surgery at 6. Was out by 9PM. I was left with a bad taste in my mouth as after the surgery, no one really came to check up on me or tell me anything. I had this big blue bandage around my ****, I had no idea what I was meant to do with it or any after care. So I had to ring up the surgeon and ask a couple questions.

I'd rather you ask the questions here, just in case someone is viewing the thread and wants the exact same question answered in the future

(Original post by benakaginge)
    Hey to the new people on this thread. So I had my op about a month and a half ago now so I'll answer some questions.

My foreskin mobility has improved dramatically. I am now able to have sex. It still gets sore when I've used a condom (haven't tried without) but I believe the only sore part is the scar where it was cut. And I'm guessing with time that won't be an issue. To put it bluntly my foreskin has changed quite a bit. I'd say I don't really have a frenulum anymore. I'm definitely less sensitive down there. First time trying with my girlfriend, we were going at it for about half an hour and I was nowhere near finishing. It was my first time so I was probably nervous but after that it still takes me about 15-20 minutes to finish which isn't all that bad I guess but it could be just myself personally.

I started out by visiting my GP. He had a look at it, said it was tight and put me down to go on the waiting list on the NHS. I'll tell you the full story just so you know my experience and it may answer any questions you may have.

I waited 2 months on the NHS and realised I'd have to wait until September to actually see a consultant and then another 10 weeks after that to have the surgery. This was in Wales but sorry NHS, I wasn't going to wait just over 9 months for a ****ing half an hour surgery. In other words, get ****ed. So I went private. It cost me £941 altogether. The nurses were lovely and treated me with care. I saw a consultant a week after I rang the private hospital, and then because they were fully booked I waited another 3 weeks to have the surgery. It's usually a week or 2 but they said they were unusually busy.

I went in at 3PM, had surgery at 6. Was out by 9PM. I was left with a bad taste in my mouth as after the surgery, no one really came to check up on me or tell me anything. I had this big blue bandage around my ****, I had no idea what I was meant to do with it or any after care. So I had to ring up the surgeon and ask a couple questions.

I'd rather you ask the questions here, just in case someone is viewing the thread and wants the exact same question answered in the future
    My bandage fell of the night after the OP and I haven't retracted the foreskin yet. When should I retract it and start to have showers?

ReputationRep:
    I had it done, best decision.

Went to doctors and had it done at the local hosp after being referred to a urologist. It has made me more confident. Take everything slowly. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I had it done, best decision.

Went to doctors and had it done at the local hosp after being referred to a urologist. It has made me more confident. Take everything slowly. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite worried, i had it done 5 days ago and I have no idea what to do with regards to cleaning it. There is a smegma build up underneath the foreskin and the tip of my **** is always a bit wet. How did you go about washing it after the op? And did you notice any moisture seeping out?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.