Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, hope exams went/are going well for you all. On Monday (20th May) I'm picking my subjects for S5:

Higher English
    Higher French
    Higher Spanish
    Higher History
    Higher Administration

I'm looking for any info on what these subjects are like from past experience and if they're any good. Also, should I study for these as soon as I go back in June? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y2J97)
    Hey guys, hope exams went/are going well for you all. On Monday (20th May) I'm picking my subjects for S5:

Higher English
    Higher French
    Higher Spanish
    Higher History
    Higher Administration

I'm looking for any info on what these subjects are like from past experience and if they're any good. Also, should I study for these as soon as I go back in June? Thanks in advance
    Well I don't do French, but I do Spanish and German.
    Higher languages, really, are not that challenging. For other subjects I've found the jump up from SG / Int2s pretty huge but for languages it's really not a problem. If you have a decent teacher your language skills will improve so much over 5th year; the amount of grammar / new vocabulary you cover is huge and looking back now, it feels like I hardly knew anything at sg!
    On the other hand, some aspects of the course aren't great; pretty uninspiring topics (family, friends, health etc) and the directed writing you do in the exam is one of the dullest things you will ever do!
    Saying all that though, I really would recommend languages. If you're interested in them and work throughout the year (especially do well in your speaking exam in march time) it means May is so much less stressfull - there's not nearly as much revision for languages as other subjects. But you probably realised that this year.

When you say start studying in June do you mean when the timetable changes after exams? If so, I really wouldn't worry too much about it - have a break from all the studying and exams!

Good luck! 5th years really not as awful as some people make it out to be. Yes there are some horrible, stressful times (March isn't great because that's speaking exams, History extended essays and English folio deadlines) but it is doable.
    It's not so much that the work's completely impossible, more that people start stressing out over the fact that these grades mean so much for university entry and so on and there is a pretty huge amount of content in some subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, our timetable changes on the 10th of June. I mean like should I be revising over my notes every night? Thanks, I am interested in languages and I hope to study them when I leave school!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y2J97)

Higher English
    Higher French
    Higher Spanish
    Higher History
    Higher Administration

Higher English is a cat you just threw in water.

Nah, starting study around January for prelims and March/April for the exams should be enough

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    For Higher French, if you sat Int 2 this year you'll find it much easier. The writing is an essay which you can memorise again. The speaking is the same, just a little bit more. I don't think there's a lot more to learn, it's just memorising everything but that's what your time will be spent doing. I'm in fourth year - like yourself - and only know this from the french teacher trying to convince people to take it as only 9 people had signed up.

The best thing to do is speak to your teachers/people you know in above years, even if they didn't sit the subjects themselves, they'll be likely to know someone who did.

ReputationRep:
    Our school only offered SG's for S3/4. I believe there may only be about 3 people picking French, mainly because it is only in one column and that is with Maths. It has been moved but it was short notice for many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y2J97)
    Our school only offered SG's for S3/4. I believe there may only be about 3 people picking French, mainly because it is only in one column and that is with Maths. It has been moved but it was short notice for many people.
    If there is only 3 people or around that many, the class may not run so you'd have to have another option.

ReputationRep:
    Our minimum is about 3 or 4, I have the option to go to another school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y2J97)
    Yeah, our timetable changes on the 10th of June. I mean like should I be revising over my notes every night? Thanks, I am interested in languages and I hope to study them when I leave school!
    Languages; good choice!

Tbh, only look over your notes every night if you don't understand something - getting a friend to explain it to you is really useful as well. There's next to no point mindlessly reading over something you already understood in class.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to pick my subjects for next year: English, French, History, Admin & Spanish. Looking forward to it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.