Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (I hope this is the most suitable place to post this...)

Hello! I am currently studying AS levels at college in geography, German, maths and physics. I am predicted around AABB - AAAA.

I have really regretted my decision recently to drop chemistry, and I'm very interested in picking it up again for a full A level. However, I am not sure how feasible this is within a year?
    My college does the OCR chemistry specification. Is there much knowledge that you would carry forward to A2 that would hinder my chances at first? I plan to spend a lot of my summer going over chemistry things with my friends and purchasing revision guides, etc.
    (if it helps at all, I am doing AQA Physics A, a small section of which concerns atoms and suchlike)

Also, is this a sensible option considering the exam reforms, meaning I would have to sit all exams at once?

My other option is to take it over two years, but I have heard universities don't look kindly on that? I am currently considering Leeds and Edinburgh mostly, but miight consider Oxbridge depending on my results. Which course will take some serious searching over the summer though.

THank you very much for reading! Advice would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I've misunderstood, but why would universities not look kindly on someone doing an A-level in the normal time?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    A-Level chemistry in two years is tough enough, so doing it in one year is just pushing it, especially as you are doing it alongside other subjects. You're gonna be killing yourself with the workload.

ReputationRep:
    I think universities prefer you to take all your A levels within two years, so if I picked it up now to complete in two years that would mean I have done three years overall??

Also, I would drop two of my current subjects in order to accommodate chemistry if I were to take it, sorry for not clarifying that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubber-band)
    I think universities prefer you to take all your A levels within two years, so if I picked it up now to complete in two years that would mean I have done three years overall??

Also, I would drop two of my current subjects in order to accommodate chemistry if I were to take it, sorry for not clarifying that.
    That is a myth-people from all sorts of educational backgrounds get in. All they want is someone with the ability and passion to do well on a demanding course. Show that you have both and there won't be a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My friend did A level Chemistry (OCR) in a year, he is coping absolutely fine (he is actually doing better than me tbh). Having said that he is quite intelligent and it will be tough, but by no means impossible.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.