Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently a first year student at the University of Edinburgh studying French. My degree is simply a single honours degree in French.
    My 2 side courses this year have been Linguistics and the English Language and Social Policy.

However, I'm failing Linguistics, passing Social Policy and having some trouble with French, which is my main degree.

I'm extremely anxious as to be able to progress to second year, I have to pass the course overall with 50%, but I feel I am struggling to do so and the exam is in 2 days time.

Basically what I am wondering is if there's a chance I would be able to repeat first year? Or will I get chucked out?

Please someone help me or give me advice

Thank you in advance if anyone replies!

ReputationRep:
    What kind of grades have you been getting in your modules?

ReputationRep:
    I did Social Policy for first semester and achieved 51% for that. The follow on for that course was Politics of the Welfare State in semester 2 and I've been getting good grades for my coursework. Had the exam yesterday and I'm confident I have passed this course.

For French, I failed the December exam(this exam counts as coursework and cannot be resit) and I got 30%. I also had a speaking exam and only managed to achieve 35%. The pass mark was 40% for both of these. I've passed my essays and I still don't know about tutorial participation, so i'm not sure what my overall coursework for the year will average up to.

What's your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know why you have been struggling with your courses? Have you simply not worked very hard this year, or have you worked hard and are you just finding it really difficult? Or have there been special circumstances which have distracted you from your studies? Have you found it difficult to adapt to university and the fact that you have to be more self-motivated.

I think you have to understand why you haven't passed some of your courses before thinking of the solution. If you have worked hard all year, but are finding the level of the material very high, then you have to ask whether you'd benefit from repeating 1st year, as you might come across the same problem again once you get to 2nd year. However, if you think the issue is that you've found it difficult to settle in and adapt to a new way of learning (or simply haven't worked very hard), then you might be more likely to benefit from repeating a year, as the material is not necessarily too difficult for you.

I don't know what the university's regulations are regarding repeating a year. But I would try to organise a meeting with your programme director as soon as your final exam is over to discuss your concerns and see what the best solution for you is.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's half and half. I know for a fact I could have worked harder, but at the same time, I haven't been one of those people who literally don't care and just go out all the time. It's just been difficult to adapt to like you said.

I definitely feel that the jump from school to University has been a shock to me. Purely because of the workload and the fact it's down to yourself to get it done. Also, I've not really made any friends this year at university, so I've also felt that I haven't had anyone to talk to/discuss things with if that makes any sense?

I'll arrange a meeting after my exam to discuss things. Should I arrange a meeting with my personal tutor or the course director for French? Really hope I don't get kicked out :/

Thank you for your response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganm94)
    Should I arrange a meeting with my personal tutor or the course director for French? Really hope I don't get kicked out :/
    I would start with your personal tutor and see what they suggest. They're not just going to kick you out - hopefully they should have a constructive discussion with you to work out what's best. It may be that a batch of August resits is enough to squeeze you into 2nd year - or that a repeated 1st year is necessary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.