Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am an access student currently doing sociology. I have been giving an assignment to 'assess the view that family diversity is leading to the breakdown of family life in the UK'. Could anyone advise me what theories i should be looking at to complete this assignment. I have looked at my textbooks and they are not very clear. Please could someone help, thanks

ReputationRep:
    is it a good subject to take??i just want to make sure im making the right choices this year!!thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicole uk)
    is it a good subject to take??i just want to make sure im making the right choices this year!!thanks

Sociology is a good subject it's basically covering all aspects of society eg family, crime, poverty, health. I find it interesting as it gets you to think in different ways. hope this helps!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julesx)
    Sociology is a good subject it's basically covering all aspects of society eg family, crime, poverty, health. I find it interesting as it gets you to think in different ways. hope this helps!!!

hey thank you soooo much now i know im gonna make the right decision and its definately helped!!thanks!!xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julesx)
    Hi, i am an access student currently doing sociology. I have been giving an assignment to 'assess the view that family diversity is leading to the breakdown of family life in the UK'. Could anyone advise me what theories i should be looking at to complete this assignment. I have looked at my textbooks and they are not very clear. Please could someone help, thanks
    Hey I'm doing sociology too - don't have to do the family module anymore because I sat it in Jan, but it's still quite clear in my head. Hope this is right:

'assess the view that family diversity is leading to the breakdown of family life in the UK'

You need to look at views for the argument and then put in loads of critisisms against it. There's more critisisms than arguments for it though.

For = New Right, who believe that an 'underclass' of working class unmarried mothers and criminals are causing a moral crisis in socitey.

Against = postmodernists, who believe that increased diverisity is a symptom of increased choice within society. Feminists, who believe that diversity is due to women's liberation and growth in equal rights. The Rapoports are also good to use.

Hope this helps...

ReputationRep:
    'assess the view that family diversity is leading to the breakdown of family life in the UK'

Well Im not sure about theories as such but.... firstly Id examine what is meant by family diversity is that nationality, role of women, sexual orentation, size divorce....

Then look at the various aspects of it; the attitude of traditionalists would be yes & you need the kind of past families where women work in the house, men work & children seen & not heard

Liberals would disagree; saying that shared responsibilty is a gd thing, other races are hard working & gays are just as caring as mixed adults

Both parts would incorporate many dif ppl for dif reasons:

Traditionalists = conservatives & tories, war-veterans, fundamentalist xians, rural ppl...

Liberals = liberals & greens, feminists, radicals, more urban ppl..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mishael)
    Hey I'm doing sociology too - don't have to do the family module anymore because I sat it in Jan, but it's still quite clear in my head. Hope this is right:

You need to look at views for the argument and then put in loads of critisisms against it. There's more critisisms than arguments for it though.

For = New Right, who believe that an 'underclass' of working class unmarried mothers and criminals are causing a moral crisis in socitey.

Against = postmodernists, who believe that increased diverisity is a symptom of increased choice within society. Feminists, who believe that diversity is due to women's liberation and growth in equal rights. The Rapoports are also good to use.

Hope this helps...

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mishael, thanks for your help i handed my essay in and passed it!!!!
    Cheers!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black_Magic)

Well Im not sure about theories as such but.... firstly Id examine what is meant by family diversity is that nationality, role of women, sexual orentation, size divorce....

Then look at the various aspects of it; the attitude of traditionalists would be yes & you need the kind of past families where women work in the house, men work & children seen & not heard

Liberals would disagree; saying that shared responsibilty is a gd thing, other races are hard working & gays are just as caring as mixed adults

Both parts would incorporate many dif ppl for dif reasons:

Traditionalists = conservatives & tories, war-veterans, fundamentalist xians, rural ppl...

Liberals = liberals & greens, feminists, radicals, more urban ppl..
    Thanks for your help, i understand it now cheers Jules

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.