Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Britain to pay £770m more to EUSSR Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lion-year.html

Disgraceful when they are preaching austerity at home and then asking for money. We also shouldn't be paying a single penny to an organisation that hasn't had its books signed off for 18 years.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Cameron's much-lauded and hard won budget cut, which he was so pleased to show off to the media as evidence he is not in total thrall to Brussels.

and then the EU Parliament voted against it, in a secret ballot. They opted in fact for an increase in UK contributions. It's so much easier when you're spending other peoples' money.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute disgrace, and to think that the EU swine wanted an even larger increase, so pathetic, we need to leave.

ReputationRep:
    We must be prepared to leave the EU if we don't get what we want .

I back an EU exit and would vote to leave if there there was a referendum today , but there's little chance of Britain leaving the EU .

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the issue/problem.

Its not like the EU is introducing European-wide taxes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    770m, not far off a billion if you want another view of that figure.

Such a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)

Are you the love child of Herman Van Rompuy and Mao Zedong?

I'd love to know what the EU would have to do to make you consider that as a political project it might have been hijacked by communist fanatics with no regard for the livelihoods of the citizens of the member-states.

ReputationRep:

No its just asking for the money up front. to squander on what the twits want.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind eurosceptic threads like these, but please don't call it the EUSSR, otherwise it is hard to take this seriously.

Anyway, yes it's pretty bad. But hopefully a reformed deal with them will sort things like this out. Be thankful we get our rebate.

ReputationRep:

The issue/problem is that the EU has decided that the money which the state forcefully steals from me is to be spent in a country where I have no chance of ever seeing the benefit.

On top of the money (again stolen from me) which was previously agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pembleton)
    I don't mind eurosceptic threads like these, but please don't call it the EUSSR, otherwise it is hard to take this seriously.

Anyway, yes it's pretty bad. But hopefully a reformed deal with them will sort things like this out. Be thankful we get our rebate.
    It's not an unreasonable nickname:

ReputationRep:
    Kinda creepy:

ReputationRep:

Blind loyalty is never a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    It's not an unreasonable nickname:
    It kind of is, there is a definite democratic deficiency in many areas of the EU, but overall it is a democratic body elected by the people of Europe. This comparison makes for some fun discussion but is fundamentally wrong.

ReputationRep:

It's even more ridiculous when you consider that the vast majority of European Communist and other far-left parties are anti-EU in some shape or form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    The issue/problem is that the EU has decided that the money which the state forcefully steals from me is to be spent in a country where I have no chance of ever seeing the benefit.

On top of the money (again stolen from me) which was previously agreed.
    So I guess you'd have a problem with us receiving money from the EU as well then? It's not a one-way street. We're not just propping up the EU with our money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    So I guess you'd have a problem with us receiving money from the EU as well then? It's not a one-way street. We're not just propping up the EU with our money.
    I have a huge problem with the EU demanding from the state the money which it stole from me, taking an enormous cut of it for its own purposes, and returning much less than it demanded.

So yes, I refuse to be grateful for receiving a very small percentage of my own money back.

It very much is a one-way street.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that Britain is the only country paying? We simply pay because we are economically better off than average, and this money is redistributed to CEEs such that they grow and are capable of buying everyone's exports more. Its not squandering our money.

ReputationRep:

I quite agree. Calling the EU an "EUSSR" betrays horrendous ignorance and lack of historical sense or sensitivity. I find this term enormously insulting to everyone who actually lived under or in terror of that regime.

The EU should be criticised for what it is, not what it is imagined to be.

What a ****ing ridiculous thread title

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.