Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    An under employed graduate having a hard time searching for work and wondering is it time to give up?

I graduated 2011 with a honours degree in economics from a top 50 university but haven't had much success in finding relevant work. I applied for many of the grad schemes during late 2011 and throughout 2012, made afew assessment centers and wasn't successful. I offered to do work experience at multiple small accounting practises but around 70% never replied and the rest said apply for their graduate scheme.

I turned down the chance to study for a masters course in finance as I was lead to believe it wouldn't help me attain a grad role, and that gaining experience was far more useful. Now I am questioning the decision I made as I have achieved nothing since graduating except earn minimum wage.

I don't exackly know what route to follow now. It's all getting me down too, and I have been suffering from depression because I know i'm wasting my life. I am 28, still living with mum and dad, and working full time in a rubbish retail job. I achieved a 1st in my degree but it hasn't helped me one bit.

I'm not looking for sympathy, but realistically my chances now of achieving any of my career dreams are down the pan. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Keep applying!! Apply to jobs on reed etc for finance assistant or roles with study support!!

ReputationRep:
    dd

ReputationRep:
    Have you any savings? If so, why not do the ACCA and then get a job as a qualified accountant?

Unless you're dead set on ACA, but if you want to get on with your career, maybe study ACCA and have a job on the side to pay for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makebelieve15)
    Have you any savings? If so, why not do the ACCA and then get a job as a qualified accountant?

Unless you're dead set on ACA, but if you want to get on with your career, maybe study ACCA and have a job on the side to pay for it?
    I have registered with ACCA and I have one of the study books(partially read)....but to be honest without an actual work placement, it is pointless. I'm not making excuses, i am reading the management acounting text, however you really need to be studying and working at the same time for it to be any use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simmy.uk)
    I have registered with ACCA and I have one of the study books(partially read)....but to be honest without an actual work placement, it is pointless. I'm not making excuses, i am reading the management acounting text, however you really need to be studying and working at the same time for it to be any use.
    How many UCAS Points do you have from your 3 best A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    How many UCAS Points do you have from your 3 best A-levels?
    My equivalence to 3 best A levels in one sitting is 325.

ReputationRep:
    My equivalence to 3 best A levels in one sitting is 325.
    That can't be right.

ReputationRep:
    That can't be right.
    the figure?

ReputationRep:
    the figure?
    Yes, what grades did you get? Which university did you attend, that might help explain your difficulties in obtaining a contract.

ReputationRep:
    An under employed graduate having a hard time searching for work and wondering is it time to give up?

I graduated 2011 with a honours degree in economics from a top 50 university but haven't had much success in finding relevant work. I applied for many of the grad schemes during late 2011 and throughout 2012, made afew assessment centers and wasn't successful. I offered to do work experience at multiple small accounting practises but around 70% never replied and the rest said apply for their graduate scheme.

I turned down the chance to study for a masters course in finance as I was lead to believe it wouldn't help me attain a grad role, and that gaining experience was far more useful. Now I am questioning the decision I made as I have achieved nothing since graduating except earn minimum wage.

I don't exackly know what route to follow now. It's all getting me down too, and I have been suffering from depression because I know i'm wasting my life. I am 28, still living with mum and dad, and working full time in a rubbish retail job. I achieved a 1st in my degree but it hasn't helped me one bit.

I'm not looking for sympathy, but realistically my chances now of achieving any of my career dreams are down the pan. Any advice?
    Top 50 university, in the UK or internationally?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, what grades did you get? Which university did you attend, that might help explain your difficulties in obtaining a contract.

(Original post by eggfriedrice)
    Top 50 university, in the UK or internationally?
    In Scotland
    Scottish Highers AAABC

ReputationRep:
    Hi. As others have said, register with recruitment firms and be persistent with them - phone for updates/to see if anything new has come in rather than just rely on them. Are you in a financial position to be able to take temporary jobs in the finance sector which would help you build up experience for your c.v.? If you write to small firms follow it up with a phone call. Mostly you will be rejected, but in this size of organisation you will get to speak to the right person more often than you think.

If you are trying to get a foot in the door with small local accountants you have got to do all you can to get practical experience. Many of these firms avoid using recriuitment condultants if they can because of the costs involved. Typically they don't have "graduate schemes" but that is not to say that they are not looking for ambitious, capable people who could be supported through ACCA etc. They provide good all round experience (although less so with audit), exposure to clients and early responsibility.
    The following thread is quite interesting:
    http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyan...acca-it-enough

(I think you need to register to read it) with regard to self study. It would be worth considering switching to AAT if you are going to target these type of firms and do ACCA later. It gives you a good foundation in accounts/bookkeeping, is relatively cheap and with your academic background you could complete it relatively quickly. Couple this with practical experience - work unpaid for a local bookkeeper; bookkeep for family friends; volunteer for a financial role with local groups; find one or two one man band businesses that need bookkeeping help for a nominal fee. You would be in a position to present a small practice with a very good option: an intelligent graduate who has shown initative and who can quickly be in a position to be productive.

Sorry this is so long! I do sympathise - it is hard to stay positive in your situation. Hope things improve for you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.