The Student Room Group

Using a Computer to type up EXAM ANSWERS!!!

So basically I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attack. I yestarday had a Geography exam and it was really hard for me to write within time limit as I am nervous and my hand writing ends up well not fabulous!! So the exams officer suggested that I should type my answers. I also thought that will be a good idea as I can type quiet good and know the QWERTY structure. However I am scared I will do too many grammar and spelling mistakes. Also I am doing the exam in a separate room so yeah. I am doing an exam next week and thinking of doing it. I also tried doing an essay question which i normally do in the exam in 15 minutes and completed it just right now on word in 17 minutes. So should I do it or not? anyone has any experiences?
My brother has atrocious handwriting caused by cerebral palsy, but he's extremely intelligent. He tried dictating his exam answers, but found that he far preferred to type them. I think that it would be a good idea if you think you're at risk of losing marks from illegible writing. c:
Original post by lala121
So basically I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attack. I yestarday had a Geography exam and it was really hard for me to write within time limit as I am nervous and my hand writing ends up well not fabulous!! So the exams officer suggested that I should type my answers. I also thought that will be a good idea as I can type quiet good and know the QWERTY structure. However I am scared I will do too many grammar and spelling mistakes. Also I am doing the exam in a separate room so yeah. I am doing an exam next week and thinking of doing it. I also tried doing an essay question which i normally do in the exam in 15 minutes and completed it just right now on word in 17 minutes. So should I do it or not? anyone has any experiences?

I recommend you do it ... Especially, if your hand writing starts become illegible ; which will will cause the examiner confusion and potentially lose you marks.

Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by lethean girl
My brother has atrocious handwriting caused by cerebral palsy, but he's extremely intelligent. He tried dictating his exam answers, but found that he far preferred to type them. I think that it would be a good idea if you think you're at risk of losing marks from illegible writing. c:

It is quite hard to get approval for a scribe and too late to do it for this exam season.
Reply 4
Original post by lala121

For the anxiety and Panic Attack (which i have as well so i know where you are coming from) Are you on any medication, if so what, if not has your GP diagnosed you with Moderate or Severe Anxiety and Panic Disorder if so are you on CBT? If they have ask your GP to write you a letter addressed to "The Examinations Officer at *insert school or college here* " describing what exactly you have in detail, how it has effected your revision and how it has effected you in the exams so far and how it could effect you in the exams you have (if by this time there are any). This then allows you to sign up for Special Consideration ( give the letter to your Examinations Officer/ ask your tutor etc..) You may get between 3 - 1% more but that could be the difference between a C & a B or a D & C etc... this will help. Also i do type so it does make it a lot easier as there are less people in the room and if you do get an attack, just try to concentrate on your exam as thinking about panic is triggering it and it'll just keep going in a cycle. Anxiety usually lasts between 20-30 minutes but even less if you keep your focus on something else. Even if it means going to the toilet during the exam it will calm it down and just keep saying to yourself " I have had a panic attack before and it will go away, there is nothing wrong and it will not harm me in any way." :smile: If you want more just let me know
Reply 5
Thanks i have been speaking to my exam officer however the exam board cannot give me extra time or marks as its an on going issue which needs to dealt with. I do get to sit in an room on my own where i can get time outs and walk about. I have als been seeing a councellor to reduce the problem so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest