Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Still working out on a cheat day? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I have a mental block from letting me work out on a day I eat junk. This means I have to eat clean and work out, or eat clean until after working out and then have
    This feels stupid now I have time to reflect on it. It sort of puts me in a mentality that eating junk is bad, that's a 'bad day' and I ruin the day/my progress by doing it. Whereas for me I enjoy treats but I like exercise as well really!
    Now in theory if I have a cheat meal then I'm not getting the proper macros to get any sort of gains from the immediate workout. Worst case scenario I'd be tired and get weaker. But I would have thought in the broad scheme of things the benefits of the endorphin rush/doing something productive with your day/fitness improvements would outweigh a few empty calories?
    Suggestions? Is it normal to e.g. have chocolate and still go to the gym for the sheer hell of it? Swear I'm overthinking this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    Swear I'm overthinking this.
    you're seriously, SERIOUSLY overthinking this

ReputationRep:
    Chill out brah, we all gonna make it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    you're seriously, SERIOUSLY overthinking this
    So if e.g. you had to buy a sandwich from Tesco's on a busy day or went to your mum's for a cuppa and a biscuit (or three!), you could still go to the gym? Would it still be worth it if you want to go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    So if e.g. you had to buy a sandwich from Tesco's on a busy day or went to your mum's for a cuppa and a biscuit (or three!), you could still go to the gym? Would it still be worth it if you want to go?
    yes it would and yes I would

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    This is your cheat?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    Dude, you need to rethink your cheat days. Where is the pizza, ice-cream, chocolate?

ReputationRep:
    OK bump it up a notch, let's say I had a Snickers pre-workout and was out with mates in the morning so just had to get a pasty. Still any point in going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    OK bump it up a notch, let's say I had a Snickers pre-workout and was out with mates in the morning so just had to get a pasty. Still any point in going?
    Surely you are taking the piss?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    Surely you are taking the piss?
    Serious question mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    Serious question mate
    You have a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    You have a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wnhat would everyone else do then in this situation? Always getting told you need good nutrition pre-and post WO so is there any point going if you don't one day or two?
    I mean is there any point in going that day, not at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    For some reason I have a mental block from letting me work out on a day I eat junk. This means I have to eat clean and work out, or eat clean until after working out and then have
    This feels stupid now I have time to reflect on it. It sort of puts me in a mentality that eating junk is bad, that's a 'bad day' and I ruin the day/my progress by doing it. Whereas for me I enjoy treats but I like exercise as well really!
    Now in theory if I have a cheat meal then I'm not getting the proper macros to get any sort of gains from the immediate workout. Worst case scenario I'd be tired and get weaker. But I would have thought in the broad scheme of things the benefits of the endorphin rush/doing something productive with your day/fitness improvements would outweigh a few empty calories?
    Suggestions? Is it normal to e.g. have chocolate and still go to the gym for the sheer hell of it? Swear I'm overthinking this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikki1805)

edit: in fairness I admire Jennifer Lawrence. She's come a hell of a way through some dark days.
    Not sure what you're trying to say about me here thjough : /

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    Wnhat would everyone else do then in this situation? Always getting told you need good nutrition pre-and post WO so is there any point going if you don't one day or two?
    I mean is there any point in going that day, not at all!
    Just go to the bloody gym. It isn't going to cause you harm. At worst (and I am generally doubtful of the benefits of such micro-managed nutrition) the workout might be less effective.

But it will not be useless to go, and I suspect any possible tiny difference it might make will be overcome if you just stop worrying about something so insignificant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    Just go to the bloody gym. It isn't going to cause you harm. At worst (and I am generally doubtful of the benefits of such micro-managed nutrition) the workout might be less effective.

But it will not be useless to go, and I suspect any possible tiny difference it might make will be overcome if you just stop worrying about something so insignificant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OK I'll give it a go but this has sort of turned my understanding of how to train upside down, 'abs are built in the kitchen' and that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    OK I'll give it a go but this has sort of turned my understanding of how to train upside down, 'abs are built in the kitchen' and that
    The premise is broadly correct, but if you feel you can't work out because you've had white bread and a few biscuits one day a week, you've taken it too far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely train on a cheat day...all those extra calories give you energy. Only thing I would say is not to deadlift on a mega full stomach with a belt, it can make you heave up sick.

ReputationRep:
    Just read more....snickers is perfect pre and post workout food.

You don't do all your healing and growing in the 90mins you're in the gym. My diet is pretty bad and I grow.

ReputationRep:
    So basically unless you're specifically cutting you can have a cheat day or two, work out that same day and still make gains? (e.g. strength and stamina?)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.