The Student Room Group

Art gcse unit 1

hey gyys
Art is really stressing me out atm
Can anyone help me?
For unit 1 we have to make a mask and so therefore we gotta think of a theme then develop then artist research then development etc
It sounds so much easier said than wat is actually expected
Anyone doin unit 1 currently and would like to share wat they're doing I'd be so grateful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Not sure I did exactly the same exam board when I did GCSE but I think it is all pretty similar. I would start with a mind map page with any ideas at all drawn out, this could include possible artists, kinds of masks, contexts where masks might be worn, uses of them, what they represent etc. You then want to select a couple of themes and go into more detail on them, just a page maybe some pictures and quick sketches. Then select a theme and find some related artists. Sketch/copy some of their work, do some variations. Try out new techniques and write about those. Don't worry if you don't have much of an idea to your final piece. I didn't have a clue what my final piece was going to be until a five or six weeks down the line. Just keep your mind open. :smile: As for starting ideas, tribal masks could be interesting, or masquerade masks; you could get quite extravagant with that. But try and be different as well, maybe you could think of masks as in how girls often wear makeup as a protective mask as they are worried about their appearance and that looks can be deceiving and its what we are like on the inside that counts. I don't know, these are just some ideas off the top of my head. I hope this helps in any way. :smile:
Reply 2
Woah thanxx
I'm doing AWAY and my chosen theme is leopards and tigers etc
So I'm saying how like cats r sacred to Egyptians etc
Could you pls advice as to where to go on from there and what a mask relating to my theme may look like?
Much appreciated thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Reply 4
Hmmm. Ok. Well you could look at Egyptian death masks? And look at ancient Egyptian cat sculptures of that time to get a feel for the style if you want to go to town on that. Maybe also you could think about how tigers and leopards are becoming extinct now due to us, despite the fact cats used to be worshipped? Make sure you do lots of sketches and drawings of tigers and leopards so you get the feel for them. This is pretty much off the top of my head, I will keep thinking and get back to you with any more ideas :smile: I am a little confused how AWAY fits into this? Is that your title?
Reply 5
Aw thanks so far
I meant Aqa is The examboard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending