Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Classify the chemicals in the list in compounds, ions, elements or mixtures. Write the molecular formulas of compounds, ions and elements. Suggest components of the mixtures. Present your answers in a table format.
    (Note: You are encouraged to use resources such as books or websites. Remember to reference your resources).
    1. Deionised Water
    2. Carbon
    3. Bronze
    4. Milk
    5. Chlorine
    6. Ammonia
    7. Sulphuric Acid
    8. Sodium Nitrate
    9. Bromine
    10. Air
    11. Copper Sulphate
    12. Hydroxide
    13. Mud
    14. Petrol
    15. Methane
    16. Ethanol
    17. Sodium Bicarbonate
    18. Ammonium
    19. Tin
    20. Vinegar

Just seems so pointless to me, I wont be using chem after college, but it needs to be done. Any help welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sezra)
    Classify the chemicals in the list in compounds, ions, elements or mixtures. Write the molecular formulas of compounds, ions and elements. Suggest components of the mixtures. Present your answers in a table format.
    (Note: You are encouraged to use resources such as books or websites. Remember to reference your resources).
    1. Deionised Water
    2. Carbon
    3. Bronze
    4. Milk
    5. Chlorine
    6. Ammonia
    7. Sulphuric Acid
    8. Sodium Nitrate
    9. Bromine
    10. Air
    11. Copper Sulphate
    12. Hydroxide
    13. Mud
    14. Petrol
    15. Methane
    16. Ethanol
    17. Sodium Bicarbonate
    18. Ammonium
    19. Tin
    20. Vinegar

Just seems so pointless to me, I wont be using chem after college, but it needs to be done. Any help welcome.
    What specifically do you need help with? Or are you just wanting us to do your homework for you?

ReputationRep:
    I wont lie, that was the plan. Im working through them but Have no idea if what im doing is right.

Compounds
    Ions
    Elements
    Mixtures
    Bronze:

Ammonia:

Sulphuric acid: H2SO4

Sodium nitrate: NaNO3

Carbon:

Chlorine:
    Milk: the main components of milk are water, lipids, carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals. (www.preservearticles.com)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sezra)
    I wont lie, that was the plan. Im working through them but Have no idea if what im doing is right.
    Yeah it looks like you're on the right track. Seems like they've given you a lot of them, as it will be pretty apparent if you do/don't understand it after the first few, let alone all of them!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so i have worked through the first question, but im missing deionised water and ammonium. Can anyone help?

Are deionised water and ammonium elements, compounds, mixtures or ions?

Compounds
    Ions
    Elements
    Mixtures
    Ammonia: NH3

Sulphuric acid: H2SO4

Sodium nitrate: NaNO3

Copper sulphate: CuSO4

Methane: CH4

Ethanol: C2H5OH

Sodium bicarbonate: NaHCO3

Hydroxide: OH
    Carbon:

Chlorine: Cl2

Bromine: Br2

Tin: Sn
    Bronze: Bronze is a mixture of nine parts copper to one part tin.

Milk: The main components of milk are water, lipids, carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals. (www.preservearticles.com)

Air: Air is a combination of nitrogen (78.084%), oxygen (20.947%), argon (0.934%), carbon dioxide (0.0314%) and other gasses. (www.chemistry.about.com)

Mud: There are many types of soil, but the main components are a combination of sand, clay, silt, water and various types of organic matter such as bacteria.

Petrol: Petrol is a mixture of paraffin, napthene and olefin. Petrol contains a large mixture of hydrocarbons. (www.uk.ask.com)

Vinegar: Vinegar is made from fermenting ethanol. Its main ingredient is acetic acid although there may be other acids present such as tartaric and citric. (www.wisegeek.com)

ReputationRep:
    Deionised water is just water, but with nothing else in it. Pure water.

Ammonium is the NH4+ ion for ammonia. If you take normal Ammonia, and attach another H+ to it you get ammonium.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 16, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.