Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so I have noticed that I am not alone in having little or poor revision notes and was hoping anyone who did well or thinks there notes are impressive could possibly share them?
    Thanks for submissions
    Josh.

ReputationRep:
    Well basically, today i got back a mock of People and Politics Unit 1 from my 1st teacher, and got 50/80, which she graded as a C- . This makes me a little confused because my 2nd teacher returned my Unit 2 Governing the UK mock paper with 48/80 graded with a B...? Does anyone know the actual boundries? My comp is being repaired and my phone cant open PDFs so i cant check the edexcel website
    :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    They're pretty low. 50/80 is 62%. The thing is, the boundaries are tight and obviously vary. Usually you're looking at around 65 - 75% for an A. But below the A boundary and things get very tight, so it's completely possible for you to have received a C on one paper and a B on the other even with a lower mark.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be making some next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AboveTheLine)
    I'll be making some next week.
    I believe it will be too late as the exam is the next Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackfyre)
    I believe it will be too late as the exam is the next Wednesday.
    *Thursday

It's never too late.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys - so, retake for Unit1 is on Friday and Unit 2 is on the 23rd (next week). Does anyone have any idea what sort of question will come up? My class is covering PM+The Cabinet, Parliament and The Judiciary. I must admit I am really nervous as there is so much info/examples to learn (especially for essay question) and I have no idea what will be in the exam question wise :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same 3 topics and yeah nervous as well, in fact I was looking to see if anyone had any idea what was going to come up. There is sooo much to learn for this exam and my teachers are absolutely ****, we haven't done a single practice question let alone a full mock so I have no idea how I'm going to tackle the 40 mark essay!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips to help with the source questions? I just cant seem to get them right

ReputationRep:
    For the source question (the 5 mark one), just quote directly from the source and try to include enough points to get the 5 marks. However I would recommend spending as little time as possible on this question as it doesn't count for a lot and should not be too difficult.

For the 40 mark essays, approach it in the exact same way you would a 25 mark question, just with more depth. I would recommend trying to write 4-5 paragraphs (plus an introduction and conclusion). The questions tend to be broader than the 25 mark ones, which tend to ask you to assess one side of the argument- for the 40 mark ones, they will always ask you to cover both sides.

If you look at the past questions, you will find there is a limited number of things they can ask you about for the 40 mark question and there are certain questions that are certainly worth revising. For example, for the PM & the Cabinet, make sure you can answer a question on whether the PM has become more powerful/presidential in recent years.

Also think about how coalition government may affect things. This is particularly important for the PM/Executive and Parliament.

For politics they love recent examples, so include as many as you can. Perhaps for the Judiciary you could look at the changes the government wants to make to judicial reviews or the struggle to deport Abu Qatada.

So some centres do only 3 topics? We study all 4.

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to the PM and cabinet, make sure you know Michael Foleys presidential theory as if it asks "to what extent is the PM now effectively a president" its asking about the theory not the powers. As long as you know that it's a likely and easy question

ReputationRep:
    This will help you to answers exam questions if you have been struggling to gain top marks. Hope it helps
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Unit1-and-2-Exam-Technique11.pdf (239.2 KB, 277 views)

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't attach the actual file because it was too big, but I find this extremely useful. Hope it helps!

http://www.mytonschool.co.uk/wp-cont...uster-2009.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got the questions which came up in January 2013? Would be much appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjthomas99)
    Has anyone got the questions which came up in January 2013? Would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Here's the paper and mark scheme
    Attached Images
  2. File Type: pdf Unit_2_Paper_Jan_2013.pdf (259.4 KB, 613 views)
  3. File Type: pdf Unit_2_Mark_Scheme_Jan_2013.pdf (154.7 KB, 8004 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplysparky)
    Here's the paper and mark scheme
    Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an idea on the likely questions for this exam?

ReputationRep:
    My rough predictions/things that haven't come up in the exam (ever/for a while):

Judiciary:
    - To what extent are judges neutral/independent?
    - To what extent are judicial reviews important?
    - To what extent does the judiciary fulfill its functions?
    - Discuss the effects of EU courts on UK judiciary.
    - Discuss reform of the judiciary since 2005.

Constitution:
    - Discuss the impact of the EU on the UK constitution.
    - Discuss arguments for/against devolution.
    - Discuss the location of sovereignty in the UK.
    - Does the UK constitution fulfill its functions?
    - Should the UK constitution be uncodified/codified?

PM & Cabinet:
    - Discuss whether cabinet fulfills its functions.
    - Discuss whether the PM fulfills his/her functions.
    - To what extent are ministers effective/fulfill their roles?
    - To what extent has coalition government changed prime ministerial power?
    - To what extent has coalition government changed the relationship between the PM and the cabinet?

Sorry I'm not doing Parliament so I didn't make predictions! There are so many possibilities within each unit but good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Turns out the 25 marker was "Assess the strengths of the UK constitution" - basically codified/uncodified pros and cons, brilliant question.

40 marker for me - House of Lords/Commons effectiveness in controlling government power (Executive

Pros and cons of the Lords and Commons, and also how the Executive controls them e.g. inbuilt majorities in select committees, whips, payroll vote etc.

Overall they were a little harder essay questions than they looked... But I came out of that exam smiling. 5 and a half pages for 40 marker, and 4 for 25 marker. Think I've done well

ReputationRep:
    Exam was good! Both the constitution question and the Lords/Commons checking executive power could have been a lot worse-considering the past paper questions!
    I ran out of time but overall good!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.