Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had an assessment centre for one of the Big Four recently, and while most of the exercises went fairly well I didn't do well in the psychometric tests at all

I don't know what happened, but the tests were a lot harder and we had less time than we did for the online ones. They gave us these really basic, slow calculators instead of allowing us to use our own scientific calculators.

I think I really bombed the psychometrics. The verbal one was OK, the numerical and logical ones were disasters.

There was a small ****-up during the group exercise as well because I misunderstood some information, but I quickly corrected myself and I think it was OK after that.

The next stage is a final interview which I really, really, really want.

Exactly how badly have I screwed up my chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desperate7)
    I had an assessment centre for one of the Big Four recently, and while most of the exercises went fairly well I didn't do well in the psychometric tests at all

I don't know what happened, but the tests were a lot harder and we had less time than we did for the online ones. They gave us these really basic, slow calculators instead of allowing us to use our own scientific calculators.

I think I really bombed the psychometrics. The verbal one was OK, the numerical and logical ones were disasters.

There was a small ****-up during the group exercise as well because I misunderstood some information, but I quickly corrected myself and I think it was OK after that.

The next stage is a final interview which I really, really, really want.

Exactly how badly have I screwed up my chances?
    How can anyone answer that? No one was at your AC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    How can anyone answer that? No one was at your AC.
    Uh, I'm looking for a general answer in terms of how much importance they give to psychometric tests at an AC assuming everything else was OK.

ReputationRep:
    The tests at the AC is there to confirm your scores from you initial test.

If you literally got nothing like the original then you unfortunately won't get through. As simple as that. However I don't know how big the scope for difference is and at the end of the day its in the past so stop worrying about it. They can afford to be so tough due to the number of applicants they got. I know because it happened to me last year.

If the tests were as hard as you make it so it was nothing like the original then maybe the leeway is bigger. Who knows...just wait and see. The getting a job task has always been and will always be a waiting game.

ReputationRep:
    So when you said "URGENT"... you were lying?

ReputationRep:
    Did you get the job?

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting....

ReputationRep:
    Totally URGENT

ReputationRep:
    I was distressed at the time and seemed urgent to me.

Are you people here to help or to be sarcastic and pick holes in someone's questions?

Geez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desperate7)
    I was distressed at the time and seemed urgent to me.

Are you people here to help or to be sarcastic and pick holes in someone's questions?

Geez.
    Your question isn't really a question though. You just want us to say something to help you sleep at night.

The answers you get here will have zero impact on whether you progress or not, you've already done the AC and nothing will change the outcome, whether its good or bad.

Posted from TSR for iPad

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Harsh replies to someone who is worried about something that's clearly very important to them. Nice work guys.

Psychometrics are only one part of the assessment criteria. They're important, but rarely defining in picking successful candidate(s). If you performed strongly in the other areas of your assessment centre then it may not matter that you fell short in this area. The most important part of any assessment centre is your interview. Out of interest, how did that go?

ReputationRep:
    Yep agree with the above, i totally bombed the psycometrics and still got an offer. If the partner interview went well, this seems to override all else

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.