Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I really need some help on the Categorizing Text's section of my English exam coming up as it's starting to worry me.
    I got a B in my coursework and i am aiming to get a high C to B in the exam, but i am struggling on finding good, meaningful groups in texts. I also get slightly confused on the layout and what i should include. (Genre, purpose, audience, context wise)
    Could anyone provide me with some advice on what to stick to as a layout and what groups to try and look for to get the higher marks? Also, does anyone have some model answers that i could look at as my teacher hasn't given me any?
    Any advice and help will be appreciated, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Completely bluffed my way through this exam and got 105/120, I've no idea how. We were told to put more than two texts in a group, but I did that quite a few times as I analysed extensively on the two.
    The main thing that helped me was in the exam, I skimmed over the texts and then done the other question, mine was on gender, and then returned to the texts so I'd had a bit of time to digest them and had plans for groups.

Well you know you've got to do one on spoken Lang and one on grammar, so that's two out the way. Then you can do whatever has caught your eye when reading the texts. It's hard to say anything more as the texts can be so varied. Try not to over complicate it. I found before the exam I was making groups and then thinking oh that's not good enough/too obvious and then my lecturer said that would have been a good grouping.

Tomorrow, I will go through last year's file to see if I still have model answers in there. If I do, I'll send them to you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, my teachers basically said that with the groupings, you shouldn't have any preconceived ideas of how to group them. The examiners prefer the imaginative groupings, instead of bog-standard groupings by genre, audience and purpose. You could link them by ones that have humorous elements, or pre-20th century texts, for example. Try to have around 3-4 groupings with a minimum of 3 texts in each one. Remember: BE TENTATIVE! Instead of stating 'text A clearly belongs in this group....', say 'text A could possibly belong in this group'. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My best tip would be to remember it's quality not quantity. My teacher says she finds people who do just 2 or 3 groupings do the best. I normally find a grouping then provide a paragraph for each text within the grouping, so for a grouping with 3 texts I normally take a whole side of A4 up. Also, the groupings themselves are not that important so don't get panicked if you can only group for audience, purpose, genre etc. what matters is the content of the grouping as that is where you get most of the marks. Finally, always remember to relate it to context - explain why the text has those language features present and perhaps why it doesn't have the language features that are present in another text.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.