Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questios about clutch control when learning to drive Watch

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had a lesson in 2 weeks and can't remember if I should be using the accelerator at all when using clutch control to do a manoeuvre? I'm pretty sure I didn't touch it at all, but every site I read says you press it slightly.

Also, do you use clutch control in traffic? I just do the usual clutch up, light acceleration, brake and repeat. My instructor doesnt say anything's wrong with it but I suppose it gives me more chance of stalling the way I do it. Any clutch control advice?! I've had 9 lessons now so feel too embarrassed to ask my instructor as I seem to just be making up as I go along to be honest and he doesn't say anything! But I'm wondering if clutch control in traffic would be easier (brake, clutch up halfway, then brake again?)

ReputationRep:
    Depends on if you need it or not during the manouver on whether you use the accelerator. In my instructors car I don't need to when doing manouvers (or in traffic queues for that matter simply because you don't need to go fast so staying at idle is fine.). However in my car I need to give it a bit of throttle if on any kind of slope because it is a tiny petrol engine.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, ask your instructor. That's why you pay him to sit next to you!

I use clutch control in both. In traffic if I can get into first with the clutch up I will, because I can go nice and slow in 1st.

ReputationRep:
    I used the clutch alone for manoeuvres and driving in very slow moving traffic.

It depends on the car of course.

ReputationRep:
    My instructor's car (1.4L diesel) can do slow manoeuvres and slow moving traffic on clutch alone, and maybe a tiny tiny bit of gas. My own car (1.0L petrol) couldn't do that at all, so using the gas pedal is essential.

Remember clutch control involves using the clutch pedal around the bite point , dipping and lifting slightly - you could be stalling if you're bringing the clutch all the way up when you're moving slowly for manoeuvres.

ReputationRep:
    You can use has when using clutch control for a manoeuvre gives less change of a stall but if your clutch control is good you shouldn't need to. & yeah I'd use clutch control in traffic to move slowly as you said less change of stalling and more control of the car x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.