Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't run any programs at all after Windows 7 boots, not even shutdown/restart/etc. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Sometimes after I turn on my computer, I can't run any programs on my computer at all, including all applications, and even the most fundamental windows programs, such as shutdown, restart, etc.

Anyone have any idea whats wrong with my computer?

EDIT: The only way to fix it again, is to go into safe mode (where things work as expected), then if I restart/shutdown from safe mode, I am also able to go back into normal mode again, it seems to temporarily fix it.

ReputationRep:
    If it works fine in safe mode then it is a rogue driver or non-essential software causing the problem. If you have restore points to backup to then you should do so before the installs. Would you care to list your Programs installed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NabRoh)
    If it works fine in safe mode then it is a rogue driver or non-essential software causing the problem. If you have restore points to backup to then you should do so before the installs. Would you care to list your Programs installed?
    Yes, but I will send them to you via private message, i'll send them asap

ReputationRep:
    I can't find any way to automatically generate a list of the installed programs? I really dont have time to write them out manually, do you have any idea how i can do that?

I tried typing in the following query in the WMI thing on CMD:

output:C:\InstallList.txt product get name,version

however, this only generates some of the programs that are actually installed, only about a half, it looks very different to the installed programs GUI on control panel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Ben)
    I can't find any way to automatically generate a list of the installed programs? I really dont have time to write them out manually, do you have any idea how i can do that?

I tried typing in the following query in the WMI thing on CMD:

output:C:\InstallList.txt product get name,version

however, this only generates some of the programs that are actually installed, only about a half, it looks very different to the installed programs GUI on control panel
    Yeah WMIC isn't too reliable because of the way it grabs installed programs. 3rd party apps are best. Do you know how long ago your problems started though? And what was changed during that time?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah WMIC isn't too reliable because of the way it grabs installed programs. 3rd party apps are best. Do you know how long ago your problems started though? And what was changed during that time?
    It started roughly a few days a go, the only thing I can think of that was changed, was updating Malewarebytes

ReputationRep:
    i'll try uninstalling it and see where it gets me, after i have finished scanning with it (haven't scanned with it for a while and its been scanning for an hour so may as well let it finish )

ReputationRep:
    i'll try uninstalling it and see where it gets me, after i have finished scanning with it (haven't scanned with it for a while and its been scanning for an hour so may as well let it finish )
    I doubt its MBAM, its a reputable software. Did you download it from a questionable website? What anti virus are you running?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt its MBAM, its a reputable software. Did you download it from a questionable website? What anti virus are you running?
    AVG

I forgot where i downloaded malware bytes from, I'm sure it was their main site though, & I've had malwarebytes for quite a while, maybe a few months

ReputationRep:
    AVG

I forgot where i downloaded malware bytes from, I'm sure it was their main site though, & I've had malwarebytes for quite a while, maybe a few months
    I assume the full scan found nothing?
    In your scenario we know that its a rogue software/driver that has no effect outside of normal run. I would assume that its something a lot less suspicious than a virus but still could be a fundamental startup fault.

I would reccomend uninstalling all your unnecessary programs and drivers (might need some research for this) and seeing the effect that has.

ReputationRep:
    I assume the full scan found nothing?
    In your scenario we know that its a rogue software/driver that has no effect outside of normal run. I would assume that its something a lot less suspicious than a virus but still could be a fundamental startup fault.

I would reccomend uninstalling all your unnecessary programs and drivers (might need some research for this) and seeing the effect that has.
    Yeah nothing was detected in the scan.

It's hard to learn anything about the problem, because it doesn't happen very often, it hasn't happened at the moment since when i made this thread, yet I haven't altered anything on my PC, but it's still a lingering problem.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah nothing was detected in the scan.

It's hard to learn anything about the problem, because it doesn't happen very often, it hasn't happened at the moment since when i made this thread, yet I haven't altered anything on my PC, but it's still a lingering problem.
    Can't you simply restore your PC to an earlier point in time, say a week ago? Then when you redo any updates you can reboot each time to see what might be causing the problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Can't you simply restore your PC to an earlier point in time, say a week ago? Then when you redo any updates you can reboot each time to see what might be causing the problem
    Yeah I thought this too, I recommended it in the first post but I don't think he has them set up.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I thought this too, I recommended it in the first post but I don't think he has them set up.
    It should still automatically create them when applying certain Windows updates though, I think?

@OP: care to shed light?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    It should still automatically create them when applying certain Windows updates though, I think?

@OP: care to shed light?
    Might have turned it off like me to save space on his PC (whatafoolIwaswhenmycomputercras heslateron)

Yeah OP, shed some of that quanta please.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.