ReputationRep:
    I'm curious. I know you used to use vBulletin. Is this forum (albeit very modded) based on vBulletin 4 or 5? Or something different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demise)
    I'm curious. I know you used to use vBulletin. Is this forum (albeit very modded) based on vBulletin 4 or 5? Or something different?
    Running vBulletin v4.1.12 on an Apache web server.

ReputationRep:
    Heavily modified vBulletin 4.1.12.

ReputationRep:
    Always wondered why they do not upgrade to vb5. I know it costs a bit but I think TSR can do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uIN)
    Always wondered why they do not upgrade to vb5. I know it costs a bit but I think TSR can do it
    It'll probably happen eventually, but given the level of modification that we have to the standard vB code it wouldn't just be a case of a standard upgrade,
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by uIN)
    vB5 is missing a lot of key features that TSR relies upon, CMS being one of the biggest. So we won't be upgrading for quite some time yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    vB5 is missing a lot of key features that TSR relies upon, CMS being one of the biggest. So we won't be upgrading for quite some time yet.

alright calm down. Jheeeeze?!?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Dez)
    What do you think about vBulletin? Have you considered moving to a new platform, like XenForo?

ReputationRep:
    As long as they don't move to Huddler, whatever they do is fine with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    What do you think about vBulletin? Have you considered moving to a new platform, like XenForo?
    Wouldn't moving from vBulletin to another platform be a hell of a lot of hassle though (it is enough trouble following standard upgrade paths).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Wouldn't moving from vBulletin to another platform be a hell of a lot of hassle though (it is enough trouble following standard upgrade paths).
    Yeah, so would getting the the Moon, but you don't develop something unless you go through the hassle...

ReputationRep:
    Also, people HATE change. Every forum I've seen that's moved platform has lost users over it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by JordanR)
    Also, people HATE change. Every forum I've seen that's moved platform has lost users over it.
    Of course, but short-term change (when done right) will lead to long-term growth and benefits.

I was only asking a question... :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Why, out of interest? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Of course, but short-term change (when done right) will lead to long-term growth and benefits.

I was only asking a question... :moon:
    SCREW YOU, NO QUESTIONS

Yeah, that's true. Although it's effectively killed a forum I used to be a part of. Which is a shame.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Why, out of interest? :holmes:
    Why what? I was just asking if they've considered it

XenForo is a platform built by some of the best guys from vBulletin, and is much easier to develop for than vBulletin is - it also has the features TSR wants. I can go on, but I'm just curious if they've considered moving to another platform, not about moving to any specific platform!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by JordanR)
    SCREW YOU, NO QUESTIONS

Yeah, that's true. Although it's effectively killed a forum I used to be a part of. Which is a shame.
    Indeed, which is why it's vitally important to listen to and engage with the community on these matters (you'd hope TSR would learn from the latest redesign mess?)

ReputationRep:
    Why what? I was just asking if they've considered it

XenForo is a platform built by some of the best guys from vBulletin, and is much easier to develop for than vBulletin is - it also has the features TSR wants. I can go on, but I'm just curious if they've considered moving to another platform, not about moving to any specific platform!
    I assumed since you were suggesting it that there was some reason you thought it was better I'm not really familiar with it so don't know about any advantages either way, hence was curious
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    I assumed since you were suggesting it that there was some reason you thought it was better I'm not really familiar with it so don't know about any advantages either way, hence was curious
    There are plenty of forum platforms that are better than vBulletin. vBulletin was top of the field 10-4ish years ago, but it's fallen far behind since then with very little development - it's also a massive ****ing pain to do anything with.

Having said that, v5 does look promising, and I was looking at it at work recently, but even so vBulletin are really slow to develop...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.