Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is the magnitude of the area between the graph and the x-axis given by the integral with respect to x of the modulus of the equation of the graph? e.g. While the integral of the normal equation would sum the area over the x-axis and subtract the area beneath it, the integral of the modulus of the equation sums the area over the x-axis and adds this to the area beneath it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big-Daddy)
    Is the magnitude of the area between the graph and the x-axis given by the integral with respect to x of the modulus of the equation of the graph? e.g. While the integral of the normal equation would sum the area over the x-axis and subtract the area beneath it, the integral of the modulus of the equation sums the area over the x-axis and adds this to the area beneath it.
    Yes, this is correct.

Hence, to work out the integral of the modulus of a function, you need to:

Find all points of intersection with the chosen axis (x), omitting points of inflection.

Find weather each region lies below or above the chosen axis (x).

Split the integral into a series of integrals that alternates between positive and negative (taking care to adjust the limits correctly).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Yes, this is correct.

Hence, to work out the integral of the modulus of a function, you need to:

Find all points of intersection with the chosen axis (x), omitting points of inflection.

Find weather each region lies below or above the chosen axis (x).

Split the integral into a series of integrals that alternates between positive and negative (taking care to adjust the limits correctly).

Thanks, yes, I knew the process, I just wanted to find out if it corresponded directly with the "integral of the modulus" (because my calculator can integrate the modulus directly and as a back-up in case I'm running out of time this is very useful).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big-Daddy)
    Thanks, yes, I knew the process, I just wanted to find out if it corresponded directly with the "integral of the modulus" (because my calculator can integrate the modulus directly and as a back-up in case I'm running out of time this is very useful).
    Okay, no worries. It's a very useful thing to know
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Find weather each region ...
    Apologies for hijacking someone else's thread, but I know you're usually very particular about the use of language (not to mention an A level English student!) and I've spotted this about 4 times in your threads now without saying anything:

'weather' = sun/rain/snow etc

I think the word you want is 'whether'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Apologies for hijacking someone else's thread, but I know you're usually very particular about the use of language (not to mention an A level English student!) and I've spotted this about 4 times in your threads now without saying anything:

'weather' = sun/rain/snow etc

I think the word you want is 'whether'
    Well that's embarrassing

Rest assured, I do know that! I think I type too quickly :lol: Thanks! :lol:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.