Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Non-UK students! Moving to uni, help from parents? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Question for all non-UK students! Did any of your parents help you move in to uni accommodation for your first year? If so, how long did they stay? My dad is planning on going with me and, by car and boat, the journey will take about 24h so he is probably going to stay for a few days. Did your mum/dad stay overnight?

ReputationRep:
    My family is uk based, but my parents stay over when they take my brother because his uni is a 6 hour drive away. It's completely normal. They won't stay over when they take me, because I'm only 2 hours away!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know a few international students, for most of them whose parents came they stayed at least a day or two in town

ReputationRep:
    Had an international student flat mate in my first year who came from Vietnam and her mum used to stay over for a few days when she visited, technically it is against most student accommodation rules however unless your flat mates are total dicks it will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    of course my parents are going to help me with moving, because I could never do it on my own - the journey takes about 30 hours! also, they're going to stay in the UK for a few days (especially if I end up at my insurance uni - I've never been to that city), however they'll stay in a hotel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am international student and my parents would not come with me. Almost all my friends didn't come with parents except for special reason.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine to bring your parents, but I'd seriously suggest that you get them to stay in a hotel, rather than halls. Quite apart from the fact that there isn't much space in halls, you don't want them cramping your style during freshers week, or thinking that you are going to be living in a den of iniquity (even if you are!)

ReputationRep:
    My parents did drive me there, but they just took me shopping and then headed off to drive my sister to uni as she was going back at the same time.

When they took my sister over when she first started though, we all went and stayed nearby. We didn't hang around with my sister though; we left her to settle in, had dinner once with her before we left, and otherwise used the fact that my parents had to drive her over with her stuff anyway to have a holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flax)
    Question for all non-UK students! Did any of your parents help you move in to uni accommodation for your first year? If so, how long did they stay? My dad is planning on going with me and, by car and boat, the journey will take about 24h so he is probably going to stay for a few days. Did your mum/dad stay overnight?
    just to add to what others have said i too would reccomend they stay in a hotel nearby, not only would it make it awkward to make friends in freshers if your parents are around but they might not get much sleep when students will running around drunk at all hours

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.