Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm in a predicament regarding applying to a language course Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was scanning around some university courses online to see if anything takes my fancy, I currently do freelance journalist work and want to further my skills, English Language and German both appealed to me. My only problem for entry requirements is that a C or higher at GCSE German is sought after but not mandatory. During GCSE I was a petulant, stubborn child and really didn't want to do a language but it was forced upon me, I chose German and deliberately chose to do next to nothing all year resulting in failure, as you'd expect. So, with that on my UCAS form it's bound to look bad, but here's the question: would it look better if I 'forgot' to mention i took German or place my incredibly poor GCSE score whilst adding I've been improving my German in my own time (I have) and been to Germany to increase it, albeit marginally.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You have to enter all of your certified qualifications. So you will have to enter your GCSE German grade on the form. 'Forgetting' to enter some qualifications could cause you more trouble than it is worth.

ReputationRep:
    You could "forget" to put it in but if they find out (to be honest I don't know how they would but I'm not suggesting it's a wise plan) then they could boot you off the course for lying.

I "forgot" one of my English language GCSE qualifications because I've got 3 Ds in it (I keep resitting it and missing out on a C grade) and I didn't think another D would make any difference apart from making me look worse. Not saying it's a wise idea though.

ReputationRep:
    Explain (very briefly) in your PS why you got a rubbish grade and why you think you are now capable of studying it at degree level. Ask your referee to do the same.

If it is 'preferred' but not essential you should be still in with a chance - but you do need to declare and explain the GCSE grade.

ReputationRep:
    In addition to the above, you would also benefit from showing a commitment to language learning in your PS. Evidence that you're already self studying the language or another language would be beneficial if you have no other evidence of your linguistic interest/potential beyond the poor gcse grade.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.