Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel really down and I guess that I have always had bouts of this. I refuse to go to the doctors because I don't want any hindrance in my profession because they tend to ask for medical history/ full crb checks.

I have a good life - friends, part-time masters, full time job (although no much security), family. A generally good life but I just get so lonely and upset. I got this way through final year last year and shut everyone out and just lay in bed.

I genuinely have NO energy and have force myself to do anything. I can't just be happy I have to look forward to something and when I have nothing in the pipeline I cannot be consoled.

With regards to poor energy levels - I come home from work and just sleep and this impacts on my social life and productivity. I can't explain it to my friends because to them I am happy-go-lucky so sometimes if they don't hear from me they assume I am busy.

How can I have so many advantages in life and still be really down and without energy?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It sounds to me like you have a bit of depression. It can happen to anybody so don't feel guilty or embarassed about it. Although I would suggest you see a doctor or counsellor about it you don't have to. Talking to a trusted friend about it could also be very good but again that's up to you.

There are various programmes online such as CBT which are used to help relieve depression. They should help you if you case isn't too s simerious especially when used with certian other simple life changes like a bit more exercise and a steady diet. You can find all of this just by googling it but some other sites i'd suggest you look at are Sane and Mind. They have a lot of useful tips and info on depression and other mental and mood disorders.

ReputationRep:
    You could bypass the doctor and see if you can get counselling at your university?

First off though, whatever you do, don't start feeling guilty that you seem to have it good, and that you're still not happy. Lots of people have seemingly perfect lives and depression. It seems odd, but I guess there's a disconnect there between what you have and what you want. I had that.

I don't know if you've heard of lifestyle design? I guess it's related to personal development, and it's all about working out what kind of life you want, and creating it for yourself. Do you know what your definition of success or a good life is? It could be that you're shooting for things that aren't actually what would make you happy.

I used to have depression, and I've managed to pull myself out of if but I'm not entirely sure how. I went through a couple of years of it, reading lifestyle design blogs and trying to get to know myself and what I wanted before I eventually snapped and decided that I was going to be happy and start making things the way I wanted them. But I imagine each person needs something different. Hope that helps in some small way.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.