Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've recently been offered a job teaching English for nine months in Moscow and I'll be moving there in October. Recently, I've been surprised by how negative people's opinions of Russia were. Everyone I've told has warned me it's very dangerous and even more so in the outskirts where I will be living. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Does anyone live here?

Also, I know it's a long shot but does anyone know the town Zheleznodorozny? It would make me feel a lot better to know someone there before I go and I'll be looking for language exchanges in Moscow too

Thanks in advance for any advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    I've recently been offered a job teaching English for nine months in Moscow and I'll be moving there in October. Recently, I've been surprised by how negative people's opinions of Russia were. Everyone I've told has warned me it's very dangerous and even more so in the outskirts where I will be living. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Does anyone live here?

Also, I know it's a long shot but does anyone know the town Zheleznodorozny? It would make me feel a lot better to know someone there before I go and I'll be looking for language exchanges in Moscow too

I already told you - I live at Sergiev Posad. I don't know much about Zheleznodorozny. Sergiev Posad is less dangerous place than Moscow. Moscow is the capital and like any capital it makes the interest for the criminal world in the country.

ReputationRep:
    OP, the place, where you are going also has an interesting history.
    Certainly not so interesting as Sergiev Posad one.
    Zheleznodorozny (in English it sounds something like Railroadtown) previous name was something like Burglar village. Local residents set in the forests around Moscow and rob the travelers who were going to Moscow. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    I already told you - I live at Sergiev Posad. I don't know much about Zheleznodorozny. Sergiev Posad is less dangerous place than Moscow. Moscow is the capital and like any capital it makes the interest for the criminal world in the country.
    Yes, I know. Thank you for replying!! I just thought I would post again as last time I was considering going to another, smaller place that noone would really have heard of (Chelyabinsk) but now I'm going to Moscow and I'm hoping someone who lives there might respond.

Thank you for the information, very interesting!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so jealous! A friend of mine is on her year abroad in Yaroslavl and loving it!

You're not moving to Moscow, you're moving to the Moscow Oblast if you are going to be living in Zheleznodorozhny as it is outside the city limits, tbh I wouldn't worry about living outside of Moscow if you're white and attempt to speak Russian as English is not quite as highly taught over there.

As for Chelyabinsk, lovely place, shame you didn't pick it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    I'm so jealous! A friend of mine is on her year abroad in Yaroslavl and loving it!
    I live on the way from Moscow to Yaroslavl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    You're not moving to Moscow, you're moving to the Moscow Oblast if you are going to be living in Zheleznodorozhny as it is outside the city limits, tbh I wouldn't worry about living outside of Moscow if you're white and attempt to speak Russian as English is not quite as highly taught over there.

As for Chelyabinsk, lovely place, shame you didn't pick it.
    http://www.wentz.net/radiate/cheyla/

http://www.logtv.com/films/chelyabinsk/

http://thestar.blogs.com/worlddaily/...radiation.html

It sounds like you know a bit about Chelyabinsk, in which case, may I ask what you think about the radiation situation there?

The place did look nice in pictures and I may be completely misinformed but I was scared off by the fact that the most common search results for Chelyabinsk were about the huge levels of toxic radiation and nuclear disasters in the area

ReputationRep:

Hello! I'm Russian, I live in Moscow. I found your site in the search for English-speaking students living in Moscow or not very busy people- English native speakers.
    I saw here questions about the city Zheleznodorozhniy and Chelyabinsk. can I help with something specific? can be I give you useful information.
    Maria

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellefemme_1986)
    Hello! I'm Russian, I live in Moscow. I found your site in the search for English-speaking students living in Moscow or not very busy people- English native speakers.
    I saw here questions about the city Zheleznodorozhniy and Chelyabinsk. can I help with something specific? can be I give you useful information.
    Maria
    Hello! Yes...maybe I should have posted in the international section as I am interested in talking to Russian natives..

I'm not really looking for anything specific. I'd just like to know whether anyone has heard of the town and whether they think it's a good place to live or not. Also, I'm curious because many people have told me to 'prepare to be shocked' by Russia. Is it really so bad?

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Yes...maybe I should have posted in the international section as I am interested in talking to Russian natives..

I'm not really looking for anything specific. I'd just like to know whether anyone has heard of the town and whether they think it's a good place to live or not. Also, I'm curious because many people have told me to 'prepare to be shocked' by Russia. Is it really so bad?

I am very sorry that Russia has not very good reputation. but I will tell you a secret, that all the Russians traveling abroad, talk about a high level of courtesy there. accordingly, all foreigners coming to Russia, the first thing to notice the absence of this politeness. I repeat again that I am very sorry that Russia has a reputation as a "shocking country".
    but actually we have a lot of kind and responsive people. often Russian people are ready to sacrifice their own interests for the sake of another, while abroad I never met it. if you will live in Russia, you will find that things are not as bad as the people you promise.
    as for the city Zheleznodorozhniy, this is the usual city in Moscow region, like many other cities. I would say he has nothing to distinguish. there are its own interesting places there. surely, you will visit many our cities and will see many interesting places in Moscow and Moscow region.
    if you have any questions, please wright me a privat message. I will always be glad to help you.
    I wish you all the best.

ReputationRep:
    hey Jess,

relax, you'll be fine. i even registered to respond although moscow may not be the safest city in the world, i don't think that robbers or radiation will be your biggest concern. it'll be most likely all sorts of 'trivialities' that you are used to at home, but won't get so easy in a foreign country. as for the dangers, use common sense and don't trust people you barely know (like myself.. jk -- that should keep you out of most troubles. if you want opinions of people who actually live there this forum is hardly the place to ask. i would check out russian forums or even vk.com (if you are into social networks).
    (apropos, your story reminded me of the time i attended english courses in my home town -- not moscow -- quite a few years back. we also had teachers, just like you will be, from the uk, sweden, and norway.. maybe some day someone will be as grateful to you as i am to those dudes and gals

anyway, now to the real business. i'll be visiting uk in the first two weeks of july and will have a spare week for traveling. i know i'm shooting in the dark here, but maybe someone will share a few pointers currently the plan is to simply stay in london for the whole week since i've never been there before (or anywhere in uk for that matter). is that reasonable or would you suggest i should rather allocate a few days to travel around? are there any particular tips for traveling students like cheap connections or places to stay?

thanks,
    qiq

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qiqcrc3YJQ)
    hey Jess,

anyway, now to the real business. i'll be visiting uk in the first two weeks of july and will have a spare week for traveling. i know i'm shooting in the dark here, but maybe someone will share a few pointers currently the plan is to simply stay in london for the whole week since i've never been there before (or anywhere in uk for that matter). is that reasonable or would you suggest i should rather allocate a few days to travel around? are there any particular tips for traveling students like cheap connections or places to stay?

thanks,
    qiq

I think this depends on two things- which other places (outside the UK) you've travelled to before; and also, whether the second week of your trip will be spent in London or elsewhere (if I understood correctly, you have one week free and then one week where you have to be in a particular place, presumably for work/a conference/studies?)

If your second week is to be spent in London, then definitely try to leave the city during your 'free' week. I'm presuming you will have free time to explore London in the second week.

If your second week is outside of London, then spend the bulk of the first week in the city. London is, much like Moscow, a city where you can easily get a very superficial feel in the space of 2-3 days, but equally one where, if you wanted to explore the museums/galleries/monuments in-depth you could spend weeks there and still be unsatisfied. So it does depend on some extent to what your interests are. If you're happy looking at the exteriors of buildings, then I'd recommend 3-4 days; but if you want to visit a good number of the attractions (many of the museums are free) then you'd have enough to fill the whole week.

No matter how much time you choose to spend there, please bear in mind that it is very, very easy to lose the tourist trail in London. Often it's just a case of walking down a side street. It would be a shame for you to visit and to think that all the inhabitants of the city are Japanese/American/Spanish tourists- please spend some time wandering aimlessly and exploring the streets away from the tourist hotspots. London is very walkable and surprisingly compact.

I'd recommend at least a few days spent outside the city. My favourite place outside the capital is Scotland, but realistically given the time and distance you probably will have to focus on Southern England. Focus on the things that you want to see/do. If you've already travelled a lot in Europe, then I don't think some of the highly-touted destinations such as Cambridge and Oxford are really going to impress you too much. Similarly, while we have some beautiful beaches, if you've spent time in Hawai'i then I doubt you'd be too impressed.

At the least, I'd recommend visiting one castle and one 'charming old town.' For castles you're spoiled for choice- the only limits are how far you're willing to travel and how big you want them (personally, I prefer the more dramatic, ruined ones to the giants like Windsor). For 'charming old town'- there are plenty accessible from London and some of them are completely devoid of tourists. Generally, the more there is to see and do, the more tourists there will be. It might be worthwhile visiting a fairly old, pretty but uninteresting town to get a more authentic slice of English life.

Obviously, it's difficult to advise without knowing your interests, and in any case it's difficult for me as a native to give advice on what you should see or do. Russians are always confused when I tell them how much I enjoyed my trip to Elista- equally I've had foreign visitors in raptures over places in England which I find to be pretty dull and uninteresting.

The short answer to your question would be to spend at least 2 days outside of London to get a glimpse of the the rest of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by standreams)
    please spend some time wandering aimlessly and exploring the streets away from the tourist hotspots. London is very walkable and surprisingly compact.

At the least, I'd recommend visiting one castle and one 'charming old town.'
    Thanks, that's actually very helpful. In particular, I liked the 'one castle and one old town' bit.

I'll stop here not to hijack the thread

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.