Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Please please someone help watch

Announcements

My best friend has recurrent depression but recently it was triggered by her getting a criminal record as she was caught shoplifting - she was really really strapped for cash.

She knows she shouldnt have done this and was in the wrong, and she is generally a really sound and caring person and has always wanted to be a teacher. But now she thinks the record will stop her doing this so now she has become suicidal. It is really scaring me. She feels like there is no point in living.

I don't know what to do, I am just so worried about her behaving like this and I don't want anything to happen to her. Please can anyone give advice about this criminal record thing.

Does anyone have experience of becoming a teacher even with a criminal record? Or what we can do?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether she can become a teacher or not, but you may definitely be the helping hand to her to bring her confidence back and make her live with pride as a small crime history doesn't mean end of life, you have to be her supportive hand, you can take her out in fresh air and make her feel bit special and care for her and be with her most of time and help her and be nice to her, and always try to motivate her to get back to his normal life full of confidence and who knows she can again get her dream of becoming a teacher alive and she may again be willing to live for it. She may also try personal tutoring to students at the start till she gets confidence and then once her confidence is back, she may try to get into some university or high school for aspiring her all time favorite career as her profession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swapnilramani)
    I don't know whether she can become a teacher or not, but you may definitely be the helping hand to her to bring her confidence back and make her live with pride as a small crime history doesn't mean end of life, you have to be her supportive hand, you can take her out in fresh air and make her feel bit special and care for her and be with her most of time and help her and be nice to her, and always try to motivate her to get back to his normal life full of confidence and who knows she can again get her dream of becoming a teacher alive and she may again be willing to live for it. She may also try personal tutoring to students at the start till she gets confidence and then once her confidence is back, she may try to get into some university or high school for aspiring her all time favorite career as her profession.
    I thought to be a tutor you need one of those record checks to make sure you don't have a criminal record etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Olympiad)
    I thought to be a tutor you need one of those record checks to make sure you don't have a criminal record etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah you do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah you do
    Perhaps this might help, specifically:

'You cannot have it removed completely.

It may well have dropped off basic crb checking now depending on the sentence that you got.

But it will always show on enhanced checking at least until the government change the law. They are under pressure to consider that issue as Europe have issued various declarations of incompability.

You can ask the police not to include it on your crb check using the exceptional circumstances procedure. Whether they will or not is another matter. Overall they are reluctant to exclude it depending on what it is to avoid liability on their part. That said, they are showing more willingness after the european ruling.'

This was from a year or two ago, mind, but I think it is probably still relevant today.

I think an appeal to the good nature of the local police to exclude it from CRB checks, including enhanced ones, is probably her best bet. She should explain her desire to go into teaching and how being strapped for cash once could destroy that. The deciding factor will be whether the police consider her likely to re-offend (in which case they would be liable for having stupidly trusted her). To that end, I would recommend her waiting as long as possible before requesting this, to demonstrate her time out of crime; perhaps also volunteer community service and cite this to them. I don't know that any of this would necessarily help, but I imagine it's her best shot to persuading them that she isn't a threat and they can exclude the record from CRB checks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm not sure if having a record prevents you from teaching, but assuming it does (worst case scenario) your friend could move overseas if teaching means that much to her. I'm sure they won't check British records there. Once she has experience she could always move back, using her previous work to demonstrate she's not dangerous/whatever they're worried about. Where there's a will there's a way. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It is so pathetic but maybe you should let someone else know about this, like a mutual friend you would both trust or something like this. Because the worst thing would be if anything terrible happens and you would have to face it alone... You probably just need to be there for your friend

ReputationRep:
    To be a teacher you have to be CRB check which does check for criminal records but it focuses more on things like peadophilia rather than shop lifting when you were young and as for your position.. Be there for her.. Sounds simple but seriously be there for her whenever she needs you. Pop round hers with a film or chocolate and get her talking.. Get everything out of her, she'll feel better for it and if she feels like life is not worth living then tell her it can only get better, if she's hit rock bottom it can't get worse. The only way is up. My mum was also in this position and anti depressants from the doctors really helped my mum also a councillor, which THINK she can get from the doctors.. Not sure. Best of luck x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.