Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't eat whey protein anymore - just buy a product called 2Chicks, it is just pasteurised raw egg whites.

http://www.twochicks.co.uk

I pour half the carton in and that gives me about 26 grams of protein - 150 calories, 3 grams of carb, 0 grams of fat.

Mix this in a blender with milk and a couple of bananas and it tastes just like a milkshake, you would even know it had egg white in there.

I usually add a vitamin tablet in with it and put a dash of ice cream just to give it a nice flavour.

This is great for this who want to watch their calories or their wallets - each 500g carton contains 15 raw eggs! And they are very cheap - works out at around £1 per shake, which is much cheeper than buying a lot of proteins or mass builders.

Anyhow I am new to all of this so don't take anything I say as the best advice! I am a relatively skinny guy and over the summer I want to gain some mass, but maintain the athletic look. 2Chicks is perfect for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleTom)
    I don't eat whey protein anymore - just buy a product called 2Chicks, it is just pasteurised raw egg whites.

http://www.twochicks.co.uk

I pour half the carton in and that gives me about 26 grams of protein - 150 calories, 3 grams of carb, 0 grams of fat.

Mix this in a blender with milk and a couple of bananas and it tastes just like a milkshake, you would even know it had egg white in there.

I usually add a vitamin tablet in with it and put a dash of ice cream just to give it a nice flavour.

This is great for this who want to watch their calories or their wallets - each 500g carton contains 15 raw eggs! And they are very cheap - works out at around £1 per shake, which is much cheeper than buying a lot of proteins or mass builders.

Anyhow I am new to all of this so don't take anything I say as the best advice! I am a relatively skinny guy and over the summer I want to gain some mass, but maintain the athletic look. 2Chicks is perfect for that!
    Really? I've had a quick Google search and £3 is the cheapest I've seen it for. You said you use half a carton per shake, so that's £1.50 per shake before the cost of any other ingredients.

Even without bothering to search for any particular deals I can find whey for much cheaper and if you can't/really don't want to have whey it's still cheaper to just buy eggs. If you're throwing it in a blender anyway then cracking some eggs in won't add much to your preparation time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Really? I've had a quick Google search and £3 is the cheapest I've seen it for. You said you use half a carton per shake, so that's £1.50 per shake before the cost of any other ingredients.

Even without bothering to search for any particular deals I can find whey for much cheaper and if you can't/really don't want to have whey it's still cheaper to just buy eggs. If you're throwing it in a blender anyway then cracking some eggs in won't add much to your preparation time.
    Tesco were doing 2 for £4 the other day.

Bought about 10 of them.

The problem with normal eggs is they aren't as safe - salmonella risk and 7 eggs occupied a lot more space than the equivalent 7 eggs in 2chicks.

They also taste A LOT better for some reason that normal eggs.

ReputationRep:
    Tesco were doing 2 for £4 the other day.

Bought about 10 of them.

The problem with normal eggs is they aren't as safe - salmonella risk and 7 eggs occupied a lot more space than the equivalent 7 eggs in 2chicks.

They also taste A LOT better for some reason that normal eggs.
    So even when it's on special offer, it's still more expensive than decently priced whey protein.

If your mixing it with milk and bananas then taste isn't really an issue, raw eggs don't really taste of anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    So even when it's on special offer, it's still more expensive than decently priced whey protein.

If your mixing it with milk and bananas then taste isn't really an issue, raw eggs don't really taste of anything.
    No trust me, the texture is completely different - its horrible.

ReputationRep:
    Dude just get some whey powder, this egg stuff seems like a waste of money to me. Whey powder is cheaper, tastes nicer and is more flexible. I put mine in porridge, greek yoghurt, protein shake instead of milk on cereal etc.

ReputationRep:
    No trust me, the texture is completely different - its horrible.
    But you said taste, not texture. Plus, I've had raw eggs before, the texture's fine as long as it beaten/mixed properly.

I don't think it's bad as an occasional supplement, but it's just too pricey to rival whey and is not something I'd use if I were 'watching my wallet'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    But you said taste, not texture. Plus, I've had raw eggs before, the texture's fine as long as it beaten/mixed properly.

I don't think it's bad as an occasional supplement, but it's just too pricey to rival whey and is not something I'd use if I were 'watching my wallet'.
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    I actually use two chicks for breakfast, making scrambled eggs with one egg and then egg whites as it keeps the calories down. If you're going to go through it that quickly thought you might want to try this http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/liquid-...Fe3LtAod80UAxw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaa.xo)
    I actually use two chicks for breakfast, making scrambled eggs with one egg and then egg whites as it keeps the calories down. If you're going to go through it that quickly thought you might want to try this http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/liquid-...Fe3LtAod80UAxw
    Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 ± 0.8 and 51.3 ± 9.8%, respectively."
    "In [...] the assimilation of cooked egg protein is efficient, albeit incomplete, and that the true ileal digestibility of egg protein is significantly enhanced by heat-pretreatment."

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.long

tl;dr you're wasting your money eating it raw.

ReputationRep:
    Impact whey protein works out at around 35p per serving.... Well cheap and lasts a lot longer

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.