Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anon please as I know a friend visits this forum daily. How do you tell a partner (girl/boyfriend) , apart from short-term fling / casual hook-up / friend with benefit situation?

I mean for me, a potential partner is someone I can see enjoy being with in 5 years time, have enough chemistry with - where as casual fling is more sort of physical attraction regardless of how things would work.

Fling - **** 'em raw whenever you want.

Partner - Lots of romantic crap without the expectation of actually doing the deed afterwards.

What I expect in a partner:
    Physical: conventionally attractive, cute smile, inquisitive eyes, 1.65cm+
    Personality: Loyal, socially desirable & appropriate, personable, goes extra mile!
    Qualities: not erratic, discreet, does not smoke
    Interests: making a difference / finance / tech / education / politics, etc
    Desirable: demonstrated skill & talent in area I respect / shared experience (e.g. private education) / driven for achievement, etc

Fancy / fling:
    Attractive, nice smile, slim build, good shape
    Personable, discreet, open minded, not clingy
    No STD
    Anything extra is plus!

I mean for me personally as a guy, what I expect in a partner is different from a casual relationship - I'm not saying a casual relationship won't turn into something more, it's just I tend to manage commitment and expectation in relationship depending on how I see the other person - so if in my eyes I can't see myself with them beyond the weekend - I tend to back off from giving off confusing signs. I get to meet quite alot of people - so sometimes if a girl really amazes me then I'll introduce myself. It's just I might be thinking too much - as much as I enjoy casual encounters, I'm almost 22 and wondering perhaps I should stop seeing people I don't see a future with or just keep having fun?
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2013
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.