Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I ask because at my job I get NO breaks at all....literally nothing. Even if we did have breaks there would be nowhere to sit down as there is no staff room or anything. Don't get me wrong, other than that it is a good job - the pay is OK and the shifts are perfect for me. But I can feel SO tired after work because a typical shift is 7.30 - 3.00 and in that time I get no break (I do keep sipping water as I work).

So what breaks do you get at work? And what amount of breaks do you think it is fair to expect to get?

ReputationRep:
    There's a legal minimum for breaks, and if you're doing a 7.5 hour shift without a break, your employer isn't meeting that requirement (unless one of the exceptions to it applies to you).

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/types-of-break

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    There's a legal minimum for breaks, and if you're doing a 7.5 hour shift without a break, your employer isn't meeting that requirement (unless one of the exceptions to it applies to you).

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/types-of-break
    I know, it is against the law, but I don't really feel like I'm in a position where I am able to challenge it with my boss. I have only started working there a few months ago and it is just the accepted way there - I am not confident enough to challenge it and I'd be worried I'd cause a bad relationship between me and my boss. I don't want to risk getting on bad terms with her because the job is really important to me.

ReputationRep:
    If I do 6+ hours at work, I get 30 minutes break. It depends how long I'm working for though, cause if I'm working say, before opening and until closing/after closing I think I get quite a few breaks, not 100% sure on that bit.
    If I do less than 6 hours, then I don't get a break.
    But that is against the law not to have a break when doing that amount of hours.

ReputationRep:
    I get 20 minutes paid with food included (sandwich and couple of bottled drinks) if I work 6 to 9 hours. Two 6 hour shifts entitle me to double this time and food.

You should really sort that out, where do you work in a sweat shop in Asia?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.