Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if, for example, your chosen degree requires 3A grades at A2, but you get predicted 2As and a B, would you still apply for that course? Or would you have to choose something else and try and get a place through UCAS extra?

ReputationRep:
    I see no harm in using one of your choices for such a course. I've known people that got offers when they were predicted just below the entry requirements. In most cases they were still expected to achieve the original entry requirements but a couple were given an offer similar to their predicted grades.

When I was at school one of my teachers said that one choice could be your dream university, within reason. No point aiming for one with entry requirements of AAB if you're a BBC student. Two choices that are expecting grades at the level you're working at and two choices below that level.

It's important to remember that predicted grades only make up part of the application process, so you'll have to impress with you personal statement.

Your referee may also state in the reference that whilst you are currently predicted AAB it is possible that you could become an AAA student. I currently study an Access course and my tutor wrote something like that for a few people she believed had the potential to achieve a higher grade than they were currently getting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrellii)
    I was wondering if, for example, your chosen degree requires 3A grades at A2, but you get predicted 2As and a B, would you still apply for that course? Or would you have to choose something else and try and get a place through UCAS extra?
    It would depend on the course. If it was medicine, you would stand no chance except at one uni (Keele), but other courses may be more relaxed.

Having said that, teachers are often pessimist when making AS predictions (to encourage students to work harder for better grades) but more generous when making A2 predictions. Don't give up hope of getting AAA predictions. Right now, you should do the best you can in the AS exams, and figure out your options once the exams are behind you. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, universities (especially the top ones) base your application around your predicted grades for A2. If, however, you achieve 3As at A2, you can always apply the following year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    I see no harm in using one of your choices for such a course. I've known people that got offers when they were predicted just below the entry requirements. In most cases they were still expected to achieve the original entry requirements but a couple were given an offer similar to their predicted grades.

When I was at school one of my teachers said that one choice could be your dream university, within reason. No point aiming for one with entry requirements of AAB if you're a BBC student. Two choices that are expecting grades at the level you're working at and two choices below that level.

It's important to remember that predicted grades only make up part of the application process, so you'll have to impress with you personal statement.

Your referee may also state in the reference that whilst you are currently predicted AAB it is possible that you could become an AAA student. I currently study an Access course and my tutor wrote something like that for a few people she believed had the potential to achieve a higher grade than they were currently getting.
    Thank you! That's answered all of my questions, I'm sure I can plead with my lecturer to put that in my reference

ReputationRep:
    So if I were predicted ABB, but achieved 3 As in the exam could I then apply for the course I wanted through ucas extra?

ReputationRep:
    So if I were predicted ABB, but achieved 3 As in the exam could I then apply for the course I wanted through ucas extra?
    No. Extra finishes in July and you wouldn't get your results until August. It may be possible to ask your firm and/or insurance, should you meet their offers, to release you and then you'd be able to enter Clearing but then you may have the problem of course availability.

ReputationRep:
    You might be eligible for Adjustment in this circumstance, but not all courses are available in Adjustment and not all universities participate I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExWunderkind)
    You might be eligible for Adjustment in this circumstance, but not all courses are available in Adjustment and not all universities participate I'm afraid.
    Thanks for that. I forgot about Adjustment.

My advice, OP, is to focus on you AS exams for now (I'm assuming you're still in year 12) and see where you are come the start of the next academic year. You may excel in your AS exams and then you're in a much stronger position when it comes to applying next year.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.