Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how to integrate :dx/(cosx-cos5x)...thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviabruma)
    Is that \displaystyle\int \dfrac{dx}{\cos(x) - \cos(5x)}?
    Because it's really complicated
    Wolfram alpha tends to overcomplicate things, so I simplified as far as I could and fed it in and the answer looks horrible

ReputationRep:
    it's surely got to be

\displaystyle \int\frac{dx}{cosx-cos^5x}

ReputationRep:
    it depends on if the 5 is a power or an integer?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    If you could LaTeX your maths, that would be good - I assume you mean \int \frac{1}{\cos(x)-\cos(5x)} dx. I would strongly recommend avoiding doing that integral - it's truly disgusting, and the answer is \displaystyle  \int \frac{1}{\cos (x)-\cos (5 x)} \, dx=\frac{1}{36} \left(-3 \csc (x)+8 \sqrt{3} 

\tanh ^{-1}\left(\frac{\tan   \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}{\sqrt{  3}}\right)+8 \sqrt{3} \tanh {-1}\left(\sqrt{3} \tan \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)+  9 \log \left(\cos \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)-\sin \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)-9 \log \left(\sin \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right) \right)

ReputationRep:
    What's with the neg? I was trying to clarify what the OP was asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    If you could LaTeX your maths, that would be good - I assume you mean \int \frac{1}{\cos(x)-\cos(5x)} dx. I would strongly recommend avoiding doing that integral - it's truly disgusting, and the answer is \displaystyle  \int \frac{1}{\cos (x)-\cos (5 x)} \, dx=\frac{1}{36} \left(-3 \csc (x)+8 \sqrt{3} 

\tanh ^{-1}\left(\frac{\tan   \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}{\sqrt{  3}}\right)+8 \sqrt{3} \tanh {-1}\left(\sqrt{3} \tan \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)+  9 \log \left(\cos \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)-\sin \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)-9 \log \left(\sin \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right) \right)
    And you latex'd that instead of doing?
    (Original post by joostan)
    What's with the neg? I was trying to clarify what the OP was asking.
    Me too...
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by I am Ace)
    And you latex'd that instead of doing…
    Nah, I just shoved it into WolframAlpha in Mathematica, then used the rather handy function TeXForm on the resulting output. All of twenty seconds, and it was mostly waiting for the internet to hurry up.
    Having said that, I'm meant to be doing past papers, and this is good procrastination :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviabruma)
    (Original post by joostan)
    Is that \displaystyle\int \dfrac{dx}{\cos(x) - \cos(5x)}?
    Because it's really complicated
    Wolfram alpha tends to overcomplicate things, so I simplified as far as I could and fed it in and the answer looks horrible
    Use complex numbers to expand \cos5x and then use the t substitution (x=2\arctan{t}).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Use complex numbers to expand \cos5x and then use the t substitution (x=2\arctan{t}).
    I just realised how many integrals of this type can be solved by complex number expansions!

ReputationRep:
    I just realised how many integrals of this type can be solved by complex number expansions!
    Mwuhahahaa

Now you all must try this: \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\frac{sinx  }{x}\right)^ndx

ReputationRep:
    The Tangent half angle sub can probably be used too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Mwuhahahaa

Now you all must try this: \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\frac{sinx  }{x}\right)^ndx
    Someone's going about just negging everyone who writes an equation...
    maybe he's a latex-ophobe
    Impossebleh,
    I'd give it a go (rough idea what I might do using that complex formula) but to be honest,

AIN'T NOBODY GAT TIME FO DAT

ReputationRep:
    Someone's going about just negging everyone who writes an equation...
    maybe he's a latex-ophobe
    Impossebleh,
    I'd give it a go (rough idea what I might do using that complex formula) but to be honest,

AIN'T NOBODY GAT TIME FO DAT
    Yeah, I was thinking that :lol: Odd! Let's balance it out and start giving everything on here the thumbs up! :lol:

It's ****ing brutal! I can do it when n is small but it's so hard to do it for all n (I think it's possible though!) The solution of the first few values of n was posted by LotF on TpiT (using Laplace Tranforms... which are awesome and surprisingly easy once you learn them!)

Also, whenever n is a natural number, it seems like the integral is a always in the form \frac{p\pi}{q} for positive integers p,q.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.