Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I start my Schools Direct course in September and I am so excited! However, I am really concerned about what is after that! How easy will it be to find a NQT placement? I have looked on my local Council School Bulletin at jobs and there are loads of NQT jobs this year, but will there be any for when I need one?!

My other half also thinks I am deluding myself with how hard and how much work there is going to be! I really don’t know though! I love my life as it is, but I WANT to teach! Is there a good balance?!

HELP! :confused::eek:

ReputationRep:
    Schools that take on Schools Direct trainees should have a reasonable expectation that either they or another school in their consortium will employ them, they have to prove this with their budget and stuff when they join the programme so you should be expecting to be taken on by them in your NQT year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callie_Morris)
    Hi All,

I start my Schools Direct course in September and I am so excited! However, I am really concerned about what is after that! How easy will it be to find a NQT placement? I have looked on my local Council School Bulletin at jobs and there are loads of NQT jobs this year, but will there be any for when I need one?!

My other half also thinks I am deluding myself with how hard and how much work there is going to be! I really don’t know though! I love my life as it is, but I WANT to teach! Is there a good balance?!

There will be A LOT of work. So prepare for it. Tell your friends/parents/family they won't see you as much. There will be NQT jobs about, they come up every year.
    As the post above says, many School Direct courses say they expect to take you on for your NQT year. However, not all of them do so its worth checking your courses stance on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    As the post above says, many School Direct courses say they expect to take you on for your NQT year. However, not all of them do so its worth checking your courses stance on this.
    Pretty sure its a requirement that they have to be able to prove in order to take on trainees, that they have allotted in their budget that they will be needing staff in that department. It is not a guarantee and they still have the ability to say that they're not taking you on, but from what I can read this is more of a safety net if you don't fit in with them etc. The school you're in or one in their consortium should be expecting to employ you. As I say not 110% certain of a job at the end of it, but fairly secure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonjour.la.classe)
    Pretty sure its a requirement that they have to be able to prove in order to take on trainees, that they have allotted in their budget that they will be needing staff in that department. It is not a guarantee and they still have the ability to say that they're not taking you on, but from what I can read this is more of a safety net if you don't fit in with them etc. The school you're in or one in their consortium should be expecting to employ you. As I say not 110% certain of a job at the end of it, but fairly secure.
    That was the intention, yes. But I've been to at least two School Direct interviews where they explicitly said that you should not expect them to take you on at the end but that they will help you look for other jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    That was the intention, yes. But I've been to at least two School Direct interviews where they explicitly said that you should not expect them to take you on at the end but that they will help you look for other jobs.
    Ah ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callie_Morris)
    Hi All,

Hi there, and congratulations on gaining a
    place. I'm thinking about applying but I'm not sure how competitive it is and whether I stand a chance.

I have a degree in advertising and my GCSE English and maths. Need to get my science. I have one day experience observing in a school and ten years experience working in marketing. I’m currently working in a FE college as a marketing officer. I also volunteer ay my local Brownies and worked at Camp America for six weeks (fifteen years ago!). What type of experience and qualifications are they after? Should I wait until Sep 14 while I get my GCSE Science, and should I get a job as a teaching assistant or would a week, or two observing in a class be sufficient?

Any advice, insight would be appreciated.

Thanks Jade

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.