Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I work on the tills at Tesco and was wondering what I'm legally supposed to do if a person is in a hurry and tells me to keep their 10p change. Can I pocket it myself or is that illegal?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if tesco is the same, but at sainsburys we had to put it towards supporting charities at customer services.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol, pocket it and buy a maoam

ReputationRep:
    I will do the same if there is such a charity thing. But it all up to you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When someone does that to me (i work at mcdonalds) i just put it in the charity box thing.

ReputationRep:
    I've always put it in the charity collection box. I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to carry your own money whilst you are working, plus another member of staff such as someone watching the security cameras might think you are pocketing money from the till.

ReputationRep:
    No. Please, for your own sake just put it in the till. Unless told by a customer to out it in the charity box on your till, or if your supermarket had a policy that says it goes to charity.

Do not pocket it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Standard Procedure)
    No. Please, for your own sake just put it in the till. Unless told by a customer to out it in the charity box on your till, or if your supermarket had a policy that says it goes to charity.

Do not pocket it.
    I'm currently volunteering for a local charity shop whilst looking for work and part of my role is that of a treasurer.

Last week our sales analysis forms showed that we were £10.25 up on a certain day. I asked the person working on the till that day about it and he said that it was change from a sale and wished to donate the latter of it to us. So he just put it in the till.

What I'm trying to say is, by putting change back into the till you are unbalancing it and making a discrepancy.

Name:  37930294.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  53.9 KB

Obviously I don't know the policy of various other workplaces so it may be different.

ReputationRep:
    Ask them what their policy is. I had a friend who worked in a shop who got disciplined just as much when her till was over as when it was under- because it looks as though you've short changed the customer. So that has to be as accurate as possible. If there is a charity tin it may be best in there, but just ask your manager . Don't get into trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, overs are bad, but it depends what we are talking about here.
    It's been a long time since a customer asked me to keep the change, but when it does happen its only a penny, or two. Sometimes 5p, but that's rare.
    Honestly the till would be over by a minuscule amount.

ReputationRep:
    dear god whatever you do don't put it in your own pocket. I just put it in my till as i don't have any charity boxes around my checkout, no ones ever said anything to me about it.

(Original post by kudos2u)
    I'm currently volunteering for a local charity shop whilst looking for work and part of my role is that of a treasurer.

Last week our sales analysis forms showed that we were £10.25 up on a certain day. I asked the person working on the till that day about it and he said that it was change from a sale and wished to donate the latter of it to us. So he just put it in the till.

What I'm trying to say is, by putting change back into the till you are unbalancing it and making a discrepancy.

Name:  37930294.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  53.9 KB

Obviously I don't know the policy of various other workplaces so it may be different.
    A tenner is a bit different to a penny coin, if someone gave me that much i'd call a supervisor over. Pigs will fly before that will happen in a non-charity shop anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    A tenner is a bit different to a penny coin, if someone gave me that much i'd call a supervisor over. Pigs will fly before that will happen in a non-charity shop anyway
    True.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.