Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's C3 on Monday!! I have a few revision queries I'd like to share...

It says on the spec that alcohols should be represented in the following form:

(ethanol) CH3CH2OH

I understand this is the structual formula, and represents how it's drawn. However, I have always been taught to write it like this:

C2H5OH

Do people think this would still get marks, or do I have to start writing structural formulae?

Also... I've realised that the concept of equilibrium is causing a few problems. I understand the idea of the reactions working at exactly the same rate in each direction, but I don't see how that produces a yield with 'relative amounts of each reacting substance at equilibrium'.

Thanks everyone and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigorain)
    It's C3 on Monday!! I have a few revision queries I'd like to share...

It says on the spec that alcohols should be represented in the following form:

(ethanol) CH3CH2OH

I understand this is the structual formula, and represents how it's drawn. However, I have always been taught to write it like this:

C2H5OH

Do people think this would still get marks, or do I have to start writing structural formulae?

Also... I've realised that the concept of equilibrium is causing a few problems. I understand the idea of the reactions working at exactly the same rate in each direction, but I don't see how that produces a yield with 'relative amounts of each reacting substance at equilibrium'.

Thanks everyone and good luck!
    1) It depends on the mark scheme, they can be quite nit picky but both are correct.

2) The reaction is going forwards as well as backwards hence when the reaction is going to the left, all of the reactants are also being produced in the ratio in which they are reacting.

E.g 2h2+o2 -- > 2h2o

if the reaction goes to the left hand side, the hydrogen and oxygen will be produced in relative amounts of 2:1

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.