Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My question basically asks why rate of CO2 pruduction is higher for apples slices in a nitrogen atmosphere compared to a natural atmosphere.

I understand that anaerbic respiration will be taking place, so the only source of ATP will be from glycolysis. Which means that the whole process will be much more ineffecient than if o2 was present.

However I also know that CO2 is produced in the link reaction and Krebs cycle, as well as in the anaerobic conversion of pyruvate to ethanol.

Is the answer purely because the efficiencecy of anaerobic respiration is so much worse than aerobic respiration that so much CO2 will be produced during the conversion of pyruvate, despite more CO2 actually being produced in one cycle of aerobic respiration?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I think it's to do with how much more quickly anaerobic respiration proceeds compared to aerobic respiration.

The link reaction and the Kreb's cycle are aerobic processes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I think it's to do with how much more quickly anaerobic respiration proceeds compared to aerobic respiration.

The link reaction and the Kreb's cycle are aerobic processes!

Where did I say they weren't?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Well you mentioned it in your post but it wasn't clear if you were aware so I was just bringing it to your attention. Calm down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Well you mentioned it in your post but it wasn't clear if you were aware so I was just bringing it to your attention. Calm down
    No problem, I was just making sure I had explained myself clearly. Obviously I hadn't.

Anyway, I think my original assumtion was right, and it matches your answer too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.