Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who else is studying texts that are not the popular choice ones like the 'The Great Gatsby'?

I am studying the; 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini, 'The God Of Small Things' by Arundhati Roy, Robert Browning poems and WH Auden poems.

Although I quite enjoy these texts I really wanted to study 'The Great Gatsby' instead of 'The God Of Small Things'.

Anyone else feel the same?

Our teacher made us study
    -Great expectations
    -The Kite Runner

However, GREAT EXPECTATIONS WAS A KILLER! So I borrowed Great Gatsby from the library and currently learning it in secret while the teacher assumes I'm doing Great Expectations. I know, it's risky. Any tips for Great Gatsby? Themes?

Great Gatsby wise, don't go for the generic 'American dream' theme for the debate question... you can say so much more. Like how Fitzgerald is portraying a world where facades hide the corruption and sin caused by the carelessness of the wealthy. If there is a question on women, maybe say how Fitzgerald almost seems to be doing some back-handed gender equality thing, because if you think about it, he portrays the women, namely Daisy and Myrtle, as just as unchaste and corrupt as the men. We talked in class about how he seems to be dismantling the age old stereotype of the purity of women which seems so prevalent in literature. Another point, is that despite the fact that Daisy and Jordan are often depicted in white, it seems to be an ironic use of the colour, for the supposed purity etc that it is meant to represent is what the jazz age of Fitzgerald's novel is working to destroy. When considering the use of Gold, again the generic answer would be 'it could be Fitzgerald signifying wealth' but i think it is used more in the sense of representing the greed, materialism and corruption that comes with wealth. Also quite often within the book things that were previously gold are described as yellow, which could perhaps be Fitzgerald suggesting that Gatsby's light dims under stiff scrutiny, as we gradually uncover his true character.

Good luck!!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.