Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, firstly as a new member to the student room, I just want to say hello!!
    Okay, down to the gritty stuff.
    I start college in September as a mature student, and everything about that has been cleared up there, but as its only a year access course I'll be taking, I need to start looking into university's and sorting out student finances pretty soonish.
    I know questions along the following lines have been asked before, but most individuals on ESA have different circumstances and awards.

I used to be on IB, but I've, this very month moved onto ESA(CB), I am not in a work related activity group. I also receive DLA (low care, high motability) and a war pension at 50% , which gives me a grand total of aprox £13,000 a year.

Obviously Im going to need to take student finance out to cover my tuition fee, and a maintenance loan to help with accommodation.

As both of these are loans, and not a grant, meaning that Im going to have to pay them back, will this effect my ESA? I phoned up the DWP this morning, and they didnt really seem to know (surprise!)
    I also phoned up Student finance, and was told I 'Should' be fine, but I should apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance instead, as that comes out of a different pot, and because my study time is under 16 hours a week. I'd rather not go on 'should's' though, incase half way through my course, I get a nice little letter from the DWP saying I owe them thousands.

Sorry this is a bit long winded, and sorry if some of this has been asked before, but I had to ask it all.

I look forward to your advice, Darryl
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Your ESA would only be affected if it was income based. I am not sure what happens with your war pension. There should be a contact number on any letters (I don't think it's DWP) about your WP that you can call.

Disabled students allowance (DSA) isn't money. It's equipment, such as software, laptop, dictaphone, etc. It won't affect any benefits you receive.

ReputationRep:
    Much abliged for your answer.
    Ive been told that my war pension (your right, its not the DWP, its the MoD/War veterans agency) wont effect any claim for a loan or a grant, which is a plus. It was the ESA I was worried about really.
    I wasnt sure how the DSA worked, so thanks for clearing that up.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You're welcome. As someone on DLA, you're entitled to apply for the special support grant instead of the maintenance grant. This means that your student loan won't be reduced. It also means that if you were to apply for income based benefits, your SSG would be ignored in full.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.