The Student Room Group

WJEC AS English Literature Exam(Abse+Larkin)

Hi, I'm doing the AS English Lit exam tomorrow (On Abse, Larkin and Dancing at Lughanasa) and I can't find any decent websites offering revision or summaries of Whitsung Weddings and Welsh Retrospective. Was wondering if anybody had anything? Like knew of any online revision booklets, summaries of the poems, etc? My teacher has been off for the last few lessons so we've been left to our own devices and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of revision on google. Thanks:smile:
Hi, I am also doing Larkin and Abse and Lughnasa tomorrow... for the third time! I'm desperate to get my grade up to an A!

If I were you, i'd forget the summaries, because it's an open exam. I have realised after two attempts that writing essays and learning poems didn't help - I got the same grade both times. Instead, I am reading and learning critics for Larkin and Abse and I am learning detailed context for Lughnasa. I have a list of critics that fit well with almost ANY Larkin theme, so if you would like them then I can send them to you.

I am also wondering if you know anything about what the theme will be for the Larkin and Abse question? In summer 2012 it was 'unhappiness' for one question (if I remember correctly), and in January it was loss. My centre are guessing (and hoping) that this years Lughnasa will be a question on Kate, since a question about her has never been asked, and the exam board are likely to change the scripts next year as they change every 5 years and so this is their last chance to ask a question on Kate!

hello,any chance you can send me the critics for Philip Larkin as I am sitting my English Literature AS exam on Thursday so that would be really helpful! Thank you :smile:
hello,any chance you can send me the critics for Philip Larkin as I am sitting my English Literature AS exam on Thursday so that would be really helpful! Thank you

Original post by EllieARobinson
Hi, I am also doing Larkin and Abse and Lughnasa tomorrow... for the third time! I'm desperate to get my grade up to an A!

If I were you, i'd forget the summaries, because it's an open exam. I have realised after two attempts that writing essays and learning poems didn't help - I got the same grade both times. Instead, I am reading and learning critics for Larkin and Abse and I am learning detailed context for Lughnasa. I have a list of critics that fit well with almost ANY Larkin theme, so if you would like them then I can send them to you.

I am also wondering if you know anything about what the theme will be for the Larkin and Abse question? In summer 2012 it was 'unhappiness' for one question (if I remember correctly), and in January it was loss. My centre are guessing (and hoping) that this years Lughnasa will be a question on Kate, since a question about her has never been asked, and the exam board are likely to change the scripts next year as they change every 5 years and so this is their last chance to ask a question on Kate!

Quick Reply

Latest