Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please anyone, I need advise.
    I am considering doing a Pitmans Exec PA course, I have no office skills as I have been a restaurant manager for the past 9 years. I really want a job with more sociable hours. Before I dropped £3500 I need to know if it is worth it, will it increase my chances of getting an office job or is it just a waste of money?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I cant really say too much, but I would say without the office skills to accompany it, it may not be worthwhile, especially if the course is online as you will have no actual experience... Maybe you could speak to your local college as they might do a similar night course that fits around your working hours.

ReputationRep:
    Try local colleges first, Pitmans qualifications are not recognised as much as they used to be since the advent of word processing. When companies cut back it is often the administrative roles that they cut. Plus spending £3500 on a non university course is a lot of money.

If you want to get office experience, see if you can secure a volunteer position with a charity. If you sit down and go through your skills, as a restaurant manager you probably have a lot of transferable skills. So try constructing a CV that focuses on your skills not your job role. Once you have established what skills you have, contact your local college and see if you can formalise these office centric skills with relevant certifications. Adminstrative roles look for very strong word processing, excel and power point skills. A lot of people only have very basic knowledge of these applications. If you can turn out a professional presentation in 15 minutes and manipulate complex spreadsheets and develop macros etc, you will stand out in a practical interview.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.