Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girl and I want to learn to lift Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am 5"4, 114 lbs and I currently run a lot 5-10k every week 3 times a week but exams have put that on the back burner. I have been using the weights machines in the gym for things like chest press (25kg total) and shoulder press (15kg) and legs - hip Adduction abduction etc at about 90kg. I do about 2 sets of 15 of these kinda things. But I've been having difficulty building strength and moving up in weights and stuff. I bought some free weights dumb bells at like up to 25kg. Currently I can only do like.. 4kg in each arm... Try and do 3-5 sets of 15.. but normally have to rest 2 days or so at a time atm as it hurts for a few. Anyway I'm trying to up my strength training to help build muscle to tone the areas of my body I think could use it like my arms and legs.

I think it's important to note the measurements of my arms...
    Upper arm around bicep - 10-11 inches then bit less just below(forearm) at 8 ish inches and then the key thing here- my wrists. My wrists are : 5 inches around. They're child size- I can't find bracelets to fit the buggers most times. It makes it difficult for me to lift ****... Machines help me a lot with this but I'm not seeing enough improvement...

Any ideas for a good routine I can follow for the next few months leading up to August? I'm moving soon into temporary location until I can find a new place so will only be able to run outdoors and weight train indoors with my dumb bells. Should I buy more weights? How many reps should I do? I just don't know..

Thanks in advance for any advice

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jami...roduction.html

To be fair this seems alright for a beginner. Even shows a video on how to do the exercise. There are 1000's of different routines, you just have to research the one you want to do and try it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG44)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jami...roduction.html

To be fair this seems alright for a beginner. Even shows a video on how to do the exercise. There are 1000's of different routines, you just have to research the one you want to do and try it out.
    Alright I will check it out. Thanks. I just don't know what weights to start on n stuff..

ReputationRep:
    A girl lifting is just a guy lifting but at a slower rate of progress.

Good programs for beginners are Starting Strength, Stronglifts, push/pull/legs split... whatever.

Personally I would do SS/SL for a few months to get really good at the basic lifts that all programs will be based around (that's the intention behind them) and then move onto whatever you want.

ReputationRep:
    Firs thing's first: what are you trying to achieve?

Here's a reasonably simple way to work out what weight to use.
    For big excercises like squats/deadlifts/bench press
    Take the bar. Do a reasonable number of reps (6-10) assess how it feels. If it is easy, add 5kg. Rinse and repeat till you get to a weight which is difficult to do 10 reps with. Repeat 2-3x.

If the bar is too much, consider using lighter dumbells. These can be useful to warm up for excercises like the overhead press where the bar is likely to be too heavy to warm up with with/get into a nice groove with.

For machines, just work your way up the weight stack in the manner I suggested above.

ReputationRep:
    Bodybuilding.com is a goldmine of resources.

Just be careful posting with us guys in the "Misc" section, you'll probably want to pepper your angus for the unholy amount of white knighting that will commence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    Firs thing's first: what are you trying to achieve?

Here's a reasonably simple way to work out what weight to use.
    For big excercises like squats/deadlifts/bench press
    Take the bar. Do a reasonable number of reps (6-10) assess how it feels. If it is easy, add 5kg. Rinse and repeat till you get to a weight which is difficult to do 10 reps with. Repeat 2-3x.

If the bar is too much, consider using lighter dumbells. These can be useful to warm up for excercises like the overhead press where the bar is likely to be too heavy to warm up with with/get into a nice groove with.

For machines, just work your way up the weight stack in the manner I suggested above.
    What am I trying to achieve? I want to see a muscle when I flex my arms. I don't want to be able to pinch an inch or two under my arms.. And I want to be strong to the point that lifting heavy (actuallt heavy) stuff isn't too difficult.

Now, before I started I could barely lift a large wok or a large pan full of water and potatoes without both hands or my hands quivering like a leaf under the pressure- now I see a huge change my forearms mostly where I can feel the muscle now and can lift these things with one arm and relative ease! So I want to build on that. I had to start at like 10 kgs so I've added 15kg over time. And i have added 50kg on legs and 20 on sit up machine thing too - but the one thing that is most difficult seems to be the shoulder press... Not sure how to get this improved. Lol.

I would like to be able to lift an impressive amount. I want to be able to like.. Chest press 50kg, more than a lot of guys I see at the gym. Just as much as I can do really... I don't want to be a huge body builder I just want to be strong! I think i would like to do.. Whatever you can it where you have 2 big plates either side a bar and you lift it up above your head. If I could lift like - at least my weight on a bar that'd be awesome. It may take me years.. Just want to get going!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe909)
    Bodybuilding.com is a goldmine of resources.

Just be careful posting with us guys in the "Misc" section, you'll probably want to pepper your angus for the unholy amount of white knighting that will commence.
    Looks like a good site.. Stupid mobile version hard to nav ATM lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    A girl lifting is just a guy lifting but at a slower rate of progress.

Good programs for beginners are Starting Strength, Stronglifts, push/pull/legs split... whatever.

Personally I would do SS/SL for a few months to get really good at the basic lifts that all programs will be based around (that's the intention behind them) and then move onto whatever you want.
    Harder for girls-- yeah! You're telling me.. My boyfriend is so much stronger and lifting more than me on starting than I've been able to do in months but maybe I'm not doing it enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by play_fetch)
    Harder for girls-- yeah! You're telling me.. My boyfriend is so much stronger and lifting more than me on starting than I've been able to do in months but maybe I'm not doing it enough
    Yeah that's how it goes lol. Even if you do it properly you both start lower and work up slower than guys.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but since you are beginning it is imperative that you learn good form, and by learn I mean research weightlifitng sites such as t-nation, elitefts, westside barbell, watch all videos and read as many articles as you can on how to bench, squat and deadlift. Write all the main points of good form when preforming each exercise on piece of paper, head to the gym and practice these with just the barbell. After one or two sessions decide how many reps you want to preform each exercise (usually between 3 and 15) and add weight onto the barbell. If you complete all your reps and felt it was too easy add more weight, not too much a few kg each time until you have found the weight that allows you to preform the set amount of reps and not much more.

Make it a habbit that everytime you go to the gym you spend 5-10 min just practicing good form with no weight or very little weight on the bar, and always do it. Doesn't matter how heavy you lift, everyone needs to practice good form all the time. Personally I do it before and after each lifting session. I know a competing lifter that has been lifitng for over 25 and he never forgets to practice form. Sometimes he goes to the gym just to work on his form using just the barbell. Needless to say he knows his stuff.

ReputationRep:
    public class HowToGetMuscular

//init class variables

private String[] Diet = {'High Protein', 'Moderate Carb', 'Low Fat'}

//constructor
    public HowToGetMuscular(person x){

while(true){
    x.liftweights()
    x.eat(Diet);
    }
    }
    }

In all seriousness:

1) just have a decent diet that's high in protein and good ish carbs and throw in healthy fats (basically natural fats - i.e. nuts, flaxseed, fish oils).

2) Lift weights (if you want to get stronger, do the basic compound movements with a rep range of 3-10 and throw in any isolation work you want after you've done those movements). Repeat 3-5 x a week.

It literally is THAT simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but since you are beginning it is imperative that you learn good form, and by learn I mean research weightlifitng sites such as t-nation, elitefts, westside barbell, watch all videos and read as many articles as you can on how to bench, squat and deadlift. Write all the main points of good form when preforming each exercise on piece of paper, head to the gym and practice these with just the barbell. After one or two sessions decide how many reps you want to preform each exercise (usually between 3 and 15) and add weight onto the barbell. If you complete all your reps and felt it was too easy add more weight, not too much a few kg each time until you have found the weight that allows you to preform the set amount of reps and not much more.

Make it a habbit that everytime you go to the gym you spend 5-10 min just practicing good form with no weight or very little weight on the bar, and always do it. Doesn't matter how heavy you lift, everyone needs to practice good form all the time. Personally I do it before and after each lifting session. I know a competing lifter that has been lifitng for over 25 and he never forgets to practice form. Sometimes he goes to the gym just to work on his form using just the barbell. Needless to say he knows his stuff.

Eeek practising form sounds like a drag.. Is one thing I dread if I manage to get serious about this.. Which I am.. So hard to know if you're doing it right. All I ever do is copy people from a video most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzaa)
    public class HowToGetMuscular

//init class variables

private String[] Diet = {'High Protein', 'Moderate Carb', 'Low Fat'}

//constructor
    public HowToGetMuscular(person x){

while(true){
    x.liftweights()
    x.eat(Diet);
    }
    }
    }

In all seriousness:

1) just have a decent diet that's high in protein and good ish carbs and throw in healthy fats (basically natural fats - i.e. nuts, flaxseed, fish oils).

2) Lift weights (if you want to get stronger, do the basic compound movements with a rep range of 3-10 and throw in any isolation work you want after you've done those movements). Repeat 3-5 x a week.

It literally is THAT simple.
    Hehe thanks for attempting to speak to me in code...

I'm doing part 2 pretty well... Part 1 is lacking except in protein aspect- all my dinners have protein in. But I don't eat lunch most days and never eat breakfast... This is a bad habbit but it was what I was brought up by the women in my life and the men in fact to believe was necessary to not gain weight. I've had an awful upbringing in terms of food and diet.

I fear my body is too used to the lack of food.. Hmm. But I love cooking my own meals. I just really like stuff smothered in cheese or sauce though.. And I don't like fruit.. But I do like vegetables....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Eeek practising form sounds like a drag.. Is one thing I dread if I manage to get serious about this.. Which I am.. So hard to know if you're doing it right. All I ever do is copy people from a video most of the time.
    It is a drag, but it's the only way to ensure you are not only lifting safely and preventing injury, but that you are getting the most benefit out of your exercise. Copying people from a video isn't a bad idea, it just depends on who you are copying. There are loads of videos out there with "fitness experts" showing people how to lift weights, and it's all a load of crap and even a non-pro like myself can see this. Unfortunately many people will see it and think it's good and copy.

Like I said I would suggest looking at videos on youtube by elitefts, westside barbells and t-nation that talk about form. These are done by actual powerlifting and weightlifting pros. If you want to start oly lifting agian do the same thing and look at coaching videos by pro oly lifters and coaches. Whatever you do stay well away from any video teaching weightlifting form that has the word "crossfit" in it because I can guarantee you the vast majority have absolutely no idea what good form is. Crossfit is great, but you don't learn how to lift from crossfitters, or indeed other fitness "experts" you learn how to lift from weightliters then apply it to your chosen sport or fitness regime.

As for the problem if you are doing it right, you could get someone to video you preforming lifts then watch it back, that's how I do it anyway.

Some good videos and series to search on youtube are:

"so you think you can squat" by elitefts

"so you think you can bench" by dave tate (elitefts)

"deadlifts and sitting back" by clint darden

"snatch, how to olympic lift" by california strength

"clean, how to olympic lift" by californis strength

"squats at california strength" (oly squatting)

Some of these are in a series so you'll need to start at part one and work your way through each video.

ReputationRep:
    http://startingstrength.com/

ReputationRep:
    What am I trying to achieve? I want to see a muscle when I flex my arms. I don't want to be able to pinch an inch or two under my arms.. And I want to be strong to the point that lifting heavy (actuallt heavy) stuff isn't too difficult.

But the one thing that is most difficult seems to be the shoulder press... Not sure how to get this improved. Lol.
    Most people have problems with shoulder pressing big weights. I think this is true of every woman I have ever seen in the gym. You just need to hit it with frequency and volume: to press a lot you must press a lot is a truism.

I would like to be able to lift an impressive amount. I want to be able to like.. Chest press 50kg, more than a lot of guys I see at the gym.
    Very achievable.
    Whatever you can it where you have 2 big plates either side a bar and you lift it up above your head.
    That'd be a 100kg Clean and Jerk or Snatch, which is pretty serious for a small female lifter. European level for anyone under 69kg.
    If I could lift like - at least my weight on a bar that'd be awesome. It may take me years.. Just want to get going!
    A bodyweight squat or deadlift won't take you years unless you get injured or have serious structural issues. A bodyweight strict press may take you a lifetime.

3 Phase Duck is onto an important point with the technical stuff. The best way in general is just to throw up a video (we have a stickied thread) and then get it critiqued. Eventually you internalise technique and then you don't think about it any more. This is why it is useful to be coached when you are a beginner, particularly in weightlifting where the movements are by nature faster and more complex.

If you're in London, you can come down to the gym where Aivi and I lift. It's nice and has lots of good kit (high end machines, the same type of bars/plates used at the Olympics etc.) We can sort you out for technical stuff (bench/squat/dead/press anyway....don't ask me to teach weightlifting in a day, that's a lost cause.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    A bodyweight squat or deadlift won't take you years unless you get injured or have serious structural issues. A bodyweight strict press may take you a lifetime.

3 Phase Duck is onto an important point with the technical stuff. The best way in general is just to throw up a video (we have a stickied thread) and then get it critiqued. Eventually you internalise technique and then you don't think about it any more. This is why it is useful to be coached when you are a beginner, particularly in weightlifting where the movements are by nature faster and more complex.

If you're in London, you can come down to the gym where Aivi and I lift. It's nice and has lots of good kit (high end machines, the same type of bars/plates used at the Olympics etc.) We can sort you out for technical stuff (bench/squat/dead/press anyway....don't ask me to teach weightlifting in a day, that's a lost cause.)
    Thanks for telling me if you think stuff is achievable - it's a big unknown for me. I don't know any girls who lift.. And at the gym I've never seen a girl in the weights area- which isn't very good for free weights anyway it's too small an area and so most people use the machines or if they're serious about lifting they go somewhere else. But yeah I don't live in London so will probably maybe try the video thing.. I hate doing things unless I'm doing them well.. And I don't want to waste my time doing my own thing and get nowhere. I'm at a really difficult time where I am graduating and have a few months between that and moving into a new flat/house- so I will be living at my parents/boyfriends for a month or so until we find a new place.. So I will be out of a gym..

Lately I've been keeping my 4kg dumb bells next to me when I revise and every now and then when I'm bored I do like 10 reps. End up doing maybe 30 or more of various exercises a day the last few days... Wondering how much is 'too much' rep wise.. It's also odd how much stronger my left arm is than my right- I always carry things in my right and write with my right.. Weird. Feels like I could lift like twice the weight in that arm.. But don't want to do that or it might get bigger and that'd be weird. Lol.

Anyway... Does it cost much to buy your own plates and stuff? Does anyone do it/where do you buy? I'd just go temporary gym but doubt I will be able to do that.. Memberships are odd and less and less do PAYG..

ReputationRep:
    Practicing form is important if you want to progress and prevent injury!

If you're serious about making progress and getting stronger then get yourself on a good routine (see the FAQ thread for ideas) and follow it. Include squats, deadlifts, some kind of press (overhead or bench or both).

I started from a very weak point and it took me less than a year to get a 115kg deadlift and an over bodyweight back squat with regular training (2-4 times a week). Overhead work is generally harder for females to progress in, don't try comparing yourself to guys as there's no point. If you are making progress then that's good.

As Blind Monk says, film yourself lifting and ask for feedback, the best way to improve by far, short of getting someone who knows what they're doing to train you in the flesh.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe thanks for attempting to speak to me in code...

I'm doing part 2 pretty well... Part 1 is lacking except in protein aspect- all my dinners have protein in. But I don't eat lunch most days and never eat breakfast... This is a bad habbit but it was what I was brought up by the women in my life and the men in fact to believe was necessary to not gain weight. I've had an awful upbringing in terms of food and diet.

I fear my body is too used to the lack of food.. Hmm. But I love cooking my own meals. I just really like stuff smothered in cheese or sauce though.. And I don't like fruit.. But I do like vegetables....
    Haha. Cheese is fine. Essentially if you're eating healthy, just eat >more<. You will be burning more now you're exercising and some will be used for growth, so you won't have a gain in fat.

Just make sure you're lifting heavy enough and intensely enough (if it's high reps) to produce a neuro-muscular response. I.e. 4kg dumbells probably won't cut it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.