The Student Room Group

AQA AS Eng Lit B Unit 1 Help!

In the odd numbered questions, you need to evaluate to get up to band 6. But how do you evaluate? My teacher gave this essay 17/21 and said that I included some evaluation. Could someone tell me which part was the evaluation bit and how I get the essay up to a band 6?
Thank you.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KFewUt6jiIn36OzHmfU7CJ7hxzni5eDkyRwWj35-bIM/edit
I think the following are evaluative :smile:

"In addition this creates a sense of inevitability because we know that there is no possibility of these events changing" - you are explaining what effect it has.
The end of your essay is also evaluative.
Maybe to boost it up you could focus less on actual words and language and write about actual devices i.e. proximity, dialogue etc?
Evaluating is a tricky one, but essential. For example Fitzgerald uses (insert technique) to.. for example create a sense of foreboding. Now, you need to say what effect it had on the READER and was it effective? What was the purpose of it? Did it help? Etc. Remember to keep asking 'why' the writer has done something before you finish a paragraph.
However, your essay on the whole was a high band 5 :smile: (Perhaps use Fitzgerald's name less and replace with 'the author' sometimes to avoid repetition!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending