Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anon or delete please.

Could someone explain the body fat calculator thing please? I don't quite get it! Ha. I'm a size 8 and have a BMI of 18 which puts me as being underweight but the body fat calculator gives me 25% which is what they call 'acceptable'...? Suffering from an ED this is not exactly the best news I've ever heard! Haha... Any help?

ReputationRep:
    It means you have little muscle mass and relatively higher body fat, which is why you weigh little overall but your bodyfat (as a percentage of your total weight) is not low.

ReputationRep:
    Some article i read said height and waist ratios are more reliable than BMI

ReputationRep:
    BMI is a load of crap.

Body fat percentages are a far far better indicator of health. 25% for a female is fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicatre)
    BMI is a load of crap.

Body fat percentages are a far far better indicator of health. 25% for a female is fine
    A have a body fat % of 21,4 and my nutritionist says it "should or could" be a bit lower, like somewhere between 18 and 20.. On the other hand my family doctor says I'm perfectly fine... :s

ReputationRep:
    BMI is only useful for people at the extreme end of obesity, otherwise it's essentially a load of rubbish - e.g you can be muscular and perfectly healthy yet be overweight according to the BMI index.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.