Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So the question is, what is the limit for when x approaches zero, for the equation:

[1-cos(x)]/x

Anybody see how to solve? Been working on it for ages now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckaroo7)
    So the question is, what is the limit for when x approaches zero, for the equation:

[1-cos(x)]/x

Anybody see how to solve? Been working on it for ages now
    It's the limit of - \frac{\cos(x) - \cos(0)}{x-0} . Recognize that from anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    or the limit of 1/x- cos(x)/x. The first one tends to infinite, while the latter is the fundamental limit when x->0, which is 1. Overall, I think the equation tends to infinite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subbi)
    or the limit of 1/x- cos(x)/x. The first one tends to infinite, while the latter is the fundamental limit when x->0, which is 1. Overall, I think the equation tends to infinite.
    Think about that. Do you really believe that  \frac{\cos(x)}{x} \to 1 as  x \to 0 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalNumber)
    Think about that. Do you really believe that  \frac{\cos(x)}{x} \to 1 as  x \to 0 ?
    Indeed, my mistake. This applies only to sin(x), arcsin(x), tan(x), arctan(x) Thanks for letting me know! :P

ReputationRep:
    I know it!

If you look closely, there's a 0/0 indeterminate form. You can now use L'Hospital Rule, taking the derivate of both the numerator and the denominator separately. (1-cos(x))' = sin(x); x'=1. The limit becomes lim x->0 of sin(x) which is 0.

(I'm still embarrassed that I supposed lim cos(x)/x -> 0....).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subbi)
    I know it!

If you look closely, there's a 0/0 indeterminate form. You can now use L'Hospital Rule, taking the derivate of both the numerator and the denominator separately. (1-cos(x))' = sin(x); x'=1. The limit becomes lim x->0 of sin(x) which is 0.

That's right, (although I wish you hadn't posted it, it's essentially a full solution and we're trying to help the OP) but it's a far simpler argument to simply use the definition of a derivative, as I was alluding to in the first post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalNumber)
    That's right, (although I wish you hadn't posted it, it's essentially a full solution and we're trying to help the OP) but it's a far simpler argument to simply use the definition of a derivative, as I was alluding to in the first post.
    (Original post by Subbi)
    Indeed, my mistake. This applies only to sin(x), arcsin(x), tan(x), arctan(x) Thanks for letting me know! :P
    Thank you both very much, will think to use l'Hopitals rule next time I can't figure this type of thing out.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Subbi)
    I know it!

(Original post by beckaroo7)
    Thank you both very much, will think to use l'Hopitals rule next time I can't figure this type of thing out.
    Be careful about using l'Hopital's rule for this.

As IrrationalNumber pointed out early on, the ratio you're working out is -(cos x - cos 0)/(x - 0) as x->0 which is the definition of -1 times the derivative of cos x at x = 0! So if you use l'Hopital you're basically using a circular argument!!

If you're doing an applied course, you may be able to get away with this, but it would be a problem in a pure maths course, so check with your lecturer!

This is one one those questions where it helps to know what you're allowed to assume. For example, if you define cos x by its infinite power series then it's pretty clear what (1 - cos x)/x looks like as a power series too, and hence what happens as x approaches 0.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.