Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as though amateur rocketry is a sport I thought this would be the best place to stick my post.

My housemate and I are in the middle of designing our own rocket (I know, we need to mature a bit) and I wondered if anyone who has ever done so before might be able to share some tips / advice.

We've already used carbon fibre for the nose cone and have the fins attached - we're having a few issues designing the motor (such as which selection of chemicals to use to ensure decent thrust) and the parachute (fairly heavy nose cone which needs to be blown out by an ejection charge designed by us as well)

It's 3'6'' tall and 6'' in diameter just to add to the challenge btw

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    OH MY GOD, I WISH I HAD THE TIME AND SPACE AND EXPERTISE TO DO THIS!!!

Though of all the forums you could have posted in? Sport? Seriously? I would try Chemistry or Engineering or something, give them a break from their studying, because as much as rocketry may or may not be a sport, I don't think that your average sportsperson would necessarily know where to start. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FREELANCEDONUT)
    Seeing as though amateur rocketry is a sport I thought this would be the best place to stick my post.
    My housemate and I are in the middle of designing our own rocket (I know, we need to mature a bit) and I wondered if anyone who has ever done so before might be able to share some tips / advice.
    We've already used carbon fibre for the nose cone and have the fins attached - we're having a few issues designing the motor (such as which selection of chemicals to use to ensure decent thrust) and the parachute (fairly heavy nose cone which needs to be blown out by an ejection charge designed by us as well)
    It's 3'6'' tall and 6'' in diameter just to add to the challenge btw
    Thanks!
    This is on my bucket list!

I figure there are three big problems...
    • how to make a rocket that is powerful enough to be interesting (eg, carry a small payload)
    • how to make a rocket that is safe for humans to fire
    • how to make a rocket that returns to earth in a fit state to be reused.
    I found a website that gives lots of advice, and sells components that you could use... http://www.modelrockets.co.uk/shop/c...663429e77c9408
    I love some of their jargon (eg, a 'core sampler' is a rocket that returns to earth at high velocity and without its nose cone :rofl2:

Good luck with this!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.