The Student Room Group

David Beckham retires from professional football

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Multitalented me
Becks for knighthood? :badger:

Only a matter of time before he receives one.
Original post by CelticSymphony67
Only a matter of time before he receives one.
Your reckon he deserves one though?
Reply 22
Can't think of a better role model in the sport. He wasn't England's best player ever but the work he's done off the pitch, both within football and outside of it, has earned him his place among the greatest.
David Beckham has retired... An era, a ****ing era has ended. I am actually sad about this. His was the first footballer's name I had learned in my life. David Beckham for me, will be the icon who brought about football in my life. Thank you becks, thank you for everything. First SAF, then Scholes and now the legand of Becks, Fergie's fledgings are dying out. Massive reverence for him, what a technician and a prodigy of this game. He defined the love for this sport; amazing guy and fantastic player all round. Another illustrious career closes it's final chapter. *salutes*

Nobody can forget his half-way line strike against Wimbledon. But most importantly, it was the free-kicks that shook the world.

Fine, perfected kicks producing a masterclass.
Probably. He has 115 England caps, which is a record for a outfield player. He has generally represented not just England, but the whole UK with great aplomb. He has also done a lot for charity. He would be a decent candidate for a KBE.
Original post by CelticSymphony67
Probably. He has 115 England caps, which is a record for a outfield player. He has generally represented not just England, but the whole UK with great aplomb. He has also done a lot for charity. He would be a decent candidate for a KBE.
Alright cool :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by tjf8
Can't think of a better role model in the sport. He wasn't England's best player ever but the work he's done off the pitch, both within football and outside of it, has earned him his place among the greatest.

Without question. His attitude was exemplary.

A lot of people said moving to MLS was effectively the end of his career, but he has kept himself in good enough shape to be playing in the Champions' League this season.

Imagine how good England would be if every player had Beckham's attitude.
It all started at Preston North End!

image.jpg
Not sure if people are serious about him being that good right now cause I watch the MLS and talk to people who watch it there and many of them say regularly he plays crap :laugh:

But in his prime he was fantastic and a really nice person it seems. I can see him trying to get into a role with FIFA. That's what i thought he was trying to do when he moved from England to Spain to USA to Italy to France. Setting up links around the world as well in China and such.
Reply 29
David beckham - the real "captain, leader , legend"
My footballing idol growing up. :cry2:

I wouldn't say he was the greatest ever but I think a lot of people underrate him because of ''Brand Beckham'', especially how good he was for us. There wasn't a better crosser of the ball in the world - 99/00 for example he got 33 assists in the Premier League. Fantastic player who genuinely loved the game. Just wish he'd stayed with us his entire career like Giggs and Scholes.

Without question. I wouldn't be suprised if it happens this year.
One of the absolute greats of our generation :adore::adore::adore:

An absolute hero to anyone growing up through the 90s and early 2000s. I forget just how fond my memories of him are until today and I look back at all the goals, assists and records he achieved.

And that 2001 goal. I've never experience a footballing moment since that has come anywhere close to him scoring that goal. Pure redemption.

Unsure why anyone is mentioning the MLS not being a good standard. Not only did he win back to back championships but he doesn't even play there any more. Barcelona couldn't beat him home or away this season :smug:

An icon :congrats:
I loved David Beckham as a kid, and I still do. He was the first name I ever had printed on the back of a shirt, "Beckham 10" on the 96/97 United away strip. One of the best footballers United have had in the Ferguson era, his crosses were magnificent, his passing and ability to read a game sublime, and of course the accuracy from dead ball situations was excellent. He could have made a great central midfielder too given a chance, as he could pass the ball in either direction. The biggest breakout celebrity star of our generation from football too. I know Ferguson hated it but I was happy for him and Posh when they became super famous, they're both very down to earth, decent people who deserve their success. In some ways with the celebrity status outside of football and top talent on the field, he was the closest thing our generation had to Georgie Best.

I also love the fact that he single handedly exposed the hypocricy of a lot of England fans. The whole country was out to get him after being sent off in the 1998 world cup. Death threats were made to David and his family, effigies of him were hung and burnt at club grounds, he was booed when he returned to the England team and the media slated him mercilessly. United were the only ones who stood by him, and he went on to win the treble that year. Then when he scored that free kick against Greece everybody cheered for him ... the same ones who blamed him decided to love him again. But we always loved him here.

This is a reminder of how the England fans that now laud him as a great once treated him ...

http://redarmy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/beckham-effigy-2.jpg

"Did you cheer, did you cheer, did you cheer when Beckham scored?! Did you cheer when Beckham scored?!"
- Manchester United Fans, 2001-02.
Reply 33
I only really remember his days with Manchester United very well and his time at Madrid. I always held something against him for his decision to join LA Galaxy when he could have easily played at the top level for another few more years at another club. But I guess, he felt he needed to join them at that time because had he gone later, it would have been easy to say it was for a pay-day. I'm glad he got the chance to play in the CL again before he finished.

People may ridicule him for his off the pitch activities and Brand Beckham but no-one can question his commitment to training and practice - he was the first on and the last one off, after practising the old free-kicks. I tend to ignore all the media circus around him but just focus on his football and his time at Manchester United. He was a beautiful free-kick taker and had such an excellent technique and he carried that technique into crosses for Yorke, Cole etc.

He probably will get a knighthood sooner rather than later.
Who better than his lovely wife to sing about our tragic loss.

This song is suitable for every occasion ffs, absolutely love it.

Goodbye big man. Look for the the rainbow in every storm, fly like an angel heaven sent to me :adore:
Beckham: Good footballer, great guy and a fantastic marketing tool. But as far as I'm concerned, he retired in 2007.
An absolute legend.

He has been for some time and still will be a fantastic representative of the great sport of football. No footballer is a better idol than Beckham. His attitude to the game and to other players has always been mature and respectful. A true professional.
Original post by Bill_Gates
bobby moore.

What about Bobby Charlton?

to come back to the topic. I think he was one of the best players when he was at the top of his potential. If I think about David Beckham, I think about also Manchester United's glory days, when Yorke, Scholes, the Neville brothers, Keane, Giggs and Schmeichel played in the team which was coached by Alex Ferguson. In this era of United he was one of the important players, if not the most important player.
Original post by Cll_ws
He was a great player, and one of the first I ever truly admired as a kid, despite me not being a United fan. He's a good guy as well. Good luck to him!

One thing i'm not going to thank him for though is all the **** haircuts I had growing up because of him :tongue:

lol you won't be the only one! :wink:
Reply 39
he is a great player and a decent nice guy

Quick Reply

Latest