Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in uni doing a course that's failed to hold my interest. I've been going on with the cost with the mindset of I'll be getting something out of this in the end so I'll just sick it out but honestly I have reached my limit I've got to force myself out of bed to come into uni and just sit there being fed all this information that's just going in one ear and it the other.

Uni life itself isn't all that appealing either, the people are great and that's about it, not enough to warrant moving out. Uni wasn't the first choice for me to begin with but the constant nagging that I received from the teachers and my parents on how this is the single most important place I'll ever visit and of course I gave in and rushed picking a uni and all that.

I honestly don't think I have the courage to tell my parents even after this their opinion still matters to me above all others and I don't want it to seem like I've wasted nearly a whole year faffing around.

I don't know what to do, I don't know what I want to do if I decide to leave.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a very similar situation until March this year. Uni was my Plan B, I'd stuck in a UCAS application half-heartedly as a back-up option I never thought I'd need. However, my Plan A went rather awry last Spring and I found myself cutting my losses and heading to uni.

I perhaps knew very early on that it wasn't for me- it didn't feel like the path I wanted to take in my heart but I couldn't see any other route to take. Uni seemed like the logical thing to do while I worked out my options, but I really didn't want to be there. Had I a better plan worked out then I'd have jumped ship immediately but the fact was I couldn't see a way out without leaving myself with no forward progression. The end result was that I began to get depressed, lazy and worryingly disinterested in my life, health and friends.

It took a lot of discussion and persuasion with my parents, relatives etc, but ultimately on the penultimate week of the second term I handed in my keys, hauled all my stuff into the back of my Dad's car, and left university permanently. Immediately I knew I was unemployed, back at square one career-wise, and completely out of money. However, I felt fantastic. Honestly, it was a wonderful feeling to be out of such an expensive and hugely disappointing experience once and for all, and the burden of finding a new career path from scratch seemed minor by comparison.

I'm not going to lie- I've been very, very, very fortunate. I left at just the right time and within two months I'd signed and returned the contract for a six-year apprenticeship starting this September having got several interviews and eventually an offer from my preferred company. All being well I'm going to be working full time (while picking up a completely paid-for degree!!!) in engineering- as someone who restores classic cars for a hobby it's pretty much a dream job and a dream career. Furthermore, the pay is more than agreeable, and at the end of the summer I'm going to be moving in with my best mate who also happens to be an apprentice on a similar salary.

I honestly can't believe how well everything has come together, and looking back I'd now pick my current career Plan C over my original Plan A every time. That said, I'm very aware that it more than likely wouldn't have all come together so well having dropped out, it was at the end of the day a risk. But it worked, and after several months of depression that was starting to get out of hand, getting the offer of the apprenticeship (and the lifestyle it offered) over the phone had me almost crying with relief and happiness.

It is tough to make the final decision to quit. I know several friends from my former college who are having miserable times at uni but don't want to make the leap. There will be paperwork, hassle, doubts and most of all there will be plenty of people lining up to criticise your decision. In my experience any A level student thinking of doing anything other than university is practically accused of thoughtcrime. We as a society are constantly telling ourselves that uni is the best experience of any young person's life and that nobody gets anywhere in life without a degree. Sure, it's a great time for the vast majority, but for others it just isn't. I had fun at uni, but I had the feeling that every passing day was takig me further and further down the wrong route in life.

I'm proud to say that becoming a 'dropout' was the best decision I ever made. I don't deny that I've been lucky in turning my fortunes around so quickly, but at the same time I'd say I'm a pretty average 18 year old and I found my way easily enough.

If you truly want to leave uni, do it. There will be moments of doubt and stress and worry, but if you really want to quit you'll be kicking yourself if you don't take the leap. Regardless of what everyone seems to think these days, one year wasted is not the end of the world. It's another year's experience (I actually talked about uni in my job interview) and another path explored, ultimately bringing you closer to the right path for you.

You'll know when you've made the right decision! Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    I remember being 19 and at university. It was constantly drummed into my head that unless I get a degree I would be a failure forever so when I had thoughts of dropping out I started to stress out. Eventually did drop out and now I can't wait to start an apprenticeship. Moral of the story is university may seem like the be all end all when you're fresh out of school but it really isn't. It's just some place you go to for a couple years to learn some stuff and get a certificate. It's not some big world where you have to stick it out no matter what, get amazing grades and make 00s of friends. It's just one of many paths. Seriously, don't take university so seriously, it will mess you up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.