Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Finding a part time job... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

So tomorrow I'm going to town to hand out lots of CV's...
    I've been trying to find a part time job since September and applied to so many places now, both by applying to advertisements in-store and online, and been rejected by every single one, from KFC & McDonalds to ASDA, Harvester and many, many more. I've only ever had one job interview as a result, and I didn't get that either.

I've had experience in retail as I've volunteered at Oxfam for almost 9 months now and I've also done other voluntary work too. I'm 17 next week so I can't apply to some bar & waitressing roles as you need to be 18.

In all honesty, my self esteem/ confidence has taken a knocking as a result of so many rejections and I'm losing hope. I just need all the advice I can get because tomorrow is my chance to change all this.

So please, if you have any positive or similar stories, tips, advice, whatever, I would really, really appreciate it.

Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    I'm already 17 and I'm in the same situation! Its tough for young people to get jobs at the moment, but don't give up! Getting a job in your first few interviews/applications seems uncommon for everyone c: Just trying to apply to Mcdonalds I got rejected almost immediately because they had such a huge amount of applications and I wasn't quick enough! So don't worry, you'll get there eventually~

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm unemployed myself for 2 months..

First month I was handing out CVs in every pub, coffee, shop, hotel places.. I handed out for 100-200 places.. and guess how much calls I received? Total 0, ZERO...

Second month I was just applying online and managed to get 5 interviews, even 1 trial run but still was rejected from all of them.

So after that I stopped to walk in places and hand CVs (most of them don't accept it and ask you go to online)

Anyway, good luck to you tomorrow. Maybe you will be more lucky than I was.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 so I can apply for bar and waiting roles, but like you i'm still having no luck. I've been looking since the end of last summer as i'm on a gap year, and I must have applied to hundreds of places. I had a job for 3 weeks at Royal Mail over Christmas, but that's all. I haven't even been asked to an interview, most don't even contact me to reject me!

It's incredibly frustrating as i've noticed that the same roles keep coming up online, so they must not be finding anybody the first time around. But despite me applying every single time the vacancy is advertised, and me being totally flexible (i'm talking ANY hours, nights, days, sundays, etc.), i'm not even being invited to an interview. There are some stores which must have about 5 copies of my CV, and they're constantly advertising vacancies!

I was really hoping to work through my gap year and save some money before going back to university, but it's just not happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    I'm 21 so I can apply for bar and waiting roles, but like you i'm still having no luck. I've been looking since the end of last summer as i'm on a gap year, and I must have applied to hundreds of places. I had a job for 3 weeks at Royal Mail over Christmas, but that's all. I haven't even been asked to an interview, most don't even contact me to reject me!

It's incredibly frustrating as i've noticed that the same roles keep coming up online, so they must not be finding anybody the first time around. But despite me applying every single time the vacancy is advertised, and me being totally flexible (i'm talking ANY hours, nights, days, sundays, etc.), i'm not even being invited to an interview. There are some stores which must have about 5 copies of my CV, and they're constantly advertising vacancies!

I was really hoping to work through my gap year and save some money before going back to university, but it's just not happening.

Yes, I know that feeling even I'm unemployed just for 2 months but I'm getting afraid more and more everyday because I have money only for next 2 months to survive... I live alone and have no family/relatives here. I don't what i'm going to do if I can't find job with next 2 months, I have tried some agencies but thats total crap, didn't get any call.

Well its hard to find a job nowadays because of hundreds other people applying for same job and especially if you don't know anyone very well..

I hope we will get lucky one day..

ReputationRep:
    I really, truly wish all of you all the luck in the world and keep believing in yourself.
    The worst thing about it all, I think, is how it knocks your confidence and your belief
    because every rejection is like a slap in the face. It takes a lot of guts to get back up and to keep on trying.

Sometimes the world is just so unfair but I hope all of you have a bit of luck your way and keep strong, get back on your feet, keep trying and kicking down doors and all that because you just never know. Please don't give up!

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to let you know that I went into town last Friday and this week have been lucky enough to secure two job interviews! :O

So this message is to let you know that IT IS POSSIBLE. Don't give up hope!

My tips are to go to areas of your local town which don't advertise on the internet. I live in Derby and we have a district called the Cathedral Quarter where there are lots of independent cafe's, shops and restaurants and I was surprised to find a lot of places that had vacancies advertised in the window, mostly shop assistants & waitressing roles. The big stores are great except they rarely have vacancies available, but I found almost all of them took my CV in case a vacancy came up. I also put my CV in these nice plastic wallets so that they would hopefully think twice about throwing it away

Another tip is go with a friend or family member, because the two interviews I've got are at places I wouldn't have necessarily gone into, had my persuasive, happy go lucky best friend not been there to force me into anywhere which had a vacancy.

So I would highly recommend handing out CV's to smaller, independent businesses, going with the most pushiest & supportive of your close friends/ relatives and just being confident, polite, enthusiastic and friendly.

And if this doesn't work, try take a look at catering & events people online who provide waitresses, stewards etc. for big events, meals, concerts and such because they seem to hire regularly and are always looking.

I still can't believe this has happened to me, but if I can do it, after god knows how many rejections, I completely believe that you can too (:
    Please, please don't give up hope, just get out there and show yourself off to the world. Think positive, be hopeful, and go EVERYWHERE.
    GOOD LUCK

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.