Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any point doing a degree you don't want to do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got a course through clearing back in 2011, decided I wasn't sure whether it was the course I wanted, so deferred, applied for something else via UCAS and got rejected by every choice.

So this year I decided to go back, and finish the year and get a CertHE, with the hope of being able to change courses on the basis of that.

So I applied again, and got rejected, and I've just been rejected by UCAS Extra choice as well.

Basically, I'm well and truly stuck on a History degree that I applied for in haste through clearing and don't really want to do.

I suppose having any degree is better than having no degree, although in some cases only marginally better.

Is there any point continuing with a degree you don't really want to do if you have no prospect of changing to a course you actually want to do?

Could it be argued that my time may well be better served looking for employment rather than being miserable at university because I feel I'm not doing what I want and just studying a degree for the sake of having one?

ReputationRep:
    Another angle is the debt. Is it worth building up a huge amount of debt just for the sake of earning a degree in any subject you managed to get on through clearing?

ReputationRep:
    If you're studying something that you don't enjoy, then it will be very difficult to perform well academically because it will be such a massive chore to do extra reading etc.

Having a degree opens doors to jobs that specify "at least a 2.1" however the current saturated job market asks for more than just academics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billton)
    If you're studying something that you don't enjoy, then it will be very difficult to perform well academically because it will be such a massive chore to do extra reading etc.

Having a degree opens doors to jobs that specify "at least a 2.1" however the current saturated job market asks for more than just academics.
    At the moment I'm basically doing minimal reading to pass the essays and exams and pretty much blagging it.

My efforts might scrape a 2.2, but I don't think I'm committed enough or enjoy history enough to get a 2.1 or a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    Advise which phone to choose, I need a good processor and lots of memory, support for two SIM cards. Thanks to all of you I appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobaccoSmoke)
    At the moment I'm basically doing minimal reading to pass the essays and exams and pretty much blagging it.

My efforts might scrape a 2.2, but I don't think I'm committed enough or enjoy history enough to get a 2.1 or a 1st.
    There's no way I could've studied something I didn't enjoy. I love Chemistry, but this past year (3rd year) has almost made me hate the subject. It's stressful and demanding and coasting doesn't represent 3 years of hard work.

If I was you I would sack it off, but that's just my opinion

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.