Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to uni at 20/21 - will he be a social outcast? Watch

My cousin, whom I am very close to, received an offer this week to go to my uni this autumn to do business. He's 20, but he's only just completing his A-levels - he chose to get a job instead of do them as he grew up in a really unstable family (my aunt and uncle were abusive and he no longer sees them) and he wanted to move out and support himself. He has worked his way up pretty quickly and now has a stable job as a junior manager.

He's asked me for my advice as obviously I go to my uni, and also whether I think he would "fit in" being the age that he is. He is thinking of deferring his offer (which my uni is fine with) as he's just been promoted and would like to spend a year saving; he can afford to go to uni this year but he would be on a tight budget.

I know he's really mature and used to working life and I'm not sure if he would fit in amongst all the freshers (especially at 21 as a "mature student") but he's extremely sociable and friendly though I'm worried they might find him "weird" for being so old. Obviously I'd be able to help him out but I won't know many first-years. I have known a few mature students and they always found it hard to fit in no matter how much effort they made.

What advice should I give him? He says it's his life dream to be an entrepreneur and that's why he wants to study business, and that he wants a proper "uni experience" (all his friends from school went to uni so he didn't miss out on the social experience entirely, but he wants to see what it's like for himself). But would a mature 20/21 year old really fit in at university?

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not, there are a lot of mature students that are far older than yourself who go to University and enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    ignore venivicividi, I'm 27 and just finishing my first year at uni, and the age difference really is not an issue. I'd argue that at 20/21 you're not really a mature student at all, and in fact, most people won't really notice the difference.

(Original post by VeniViciVidi)
    no.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I'd say there'd be a bit of a maturity gap, but then again, take Hull (my uni) for example, it has a 30% mature student population so chances are, if he doesn't get on with some of the young'uns then he'd find older folk to get on with. I imagine it's the same at more than a few uni's around the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why?
    Because age doesn't make a difference at university.

ReputationRep:
    OP you have asked one question in the title and a different in the post. I think some people are answering different Q's.

Anyway, my thoughts - age doesn't make a difference I was 18 and some of my friends in freshers year were 25 and it felt no different.

(Original post by VeniViciVidi)
    Because age doesn't make a difference at university.
    Sorry, my bad - I thought you were replying to the question at the end of my post

ReputationRep:
    It wont be about his age (which is nothing anyway), more about his attitude towards uni and uni life.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 20 when I go in September - hardly a mature student it's just that he's got a bit more experience that's all! Don't worry about him he'll be just fine I think it's really sweet that you're concerned for him though!

ReputationRep:
    He won't be thought of any differently. I am a 'mature' student at 22 and the rest of the students didn't even know I was older. I don't look any different than I did at 18 (Apart from a few extra pound). There are tons of older students at uni, people seem to think it's exclusively for 18 year olds, it's really not.

Going to uni at a later age was a choice for me, I am a better student now and I know exactly what I want to do. I left college to work for a while because I knew a degree at 18 would have been wasted as I would have changed my mind. And I did. Going to work for a few years has made me appreciate coming back to education as I feel I approach it like a job and slack off less. I also get people saying what I have done is inspiring for people stuck in jobs who are too scared of quitting. lecturers enjoy having 'mature' students in their classes.

everyone looks different ages anyway you get 18 year olds looking really young and ones looking older, I doubt he's changed that much in the past two years, they'll probably only know he's older if he tells them.

ReputationRep:
    My cousin, whom I am very close to, received an offer this week to go to my uni this autumn to do business. He's 20, but he's only just completing his A-levels - he chose to get a job instead of do them as he grew up in a really unstable family (my aunt and uncle were abusive and he no longer sees them) and he wanted to move out and support himself. He has worked his way up pretty quickly and now has a stable job as a junior manager.

He's asked me for my advice as obviously I go to my uni, and also whether I think he would "fit in" being the age that he is. He is thinking of deferring his offer (which my uni is fine with) as he's just been promoted and would like to spend a year saving; he can afford to go to uni this year but he would be on a tight budget.

I know he's really mature and used to working life and I'm not sure if he would fit in amongst all the freshers (especially at 21 as a "mature student") but he's extremely sociable and friendly though I'm worried they might find him "weird" for being so old. Obviously I'd be able to help him out but I won't know many first-years. I have known a few mature students and they always found it hard to fit in no matter how much effort they made.

What advice should I give him? He says it's his life dream to be an entrepreneur and that's why he wants to study business, and that he wants a proper "uni experience" (all his friends from school went to uni so he didn't miss out on the social experience entirely, but he wants to see what it's like for himself). But would a mature 20/21 year old really fit in at university?
    If he's extremely sociable and friendly he honestly shouldn't have a problem. I found out one of my flatmates is 21 the other day, never realised before, doesn't exactly change anything. I knew several others in my flat are 20 as well, but lets face it you can't tell someone's age by looking at them if they're in their late teens/ twenties most of the time. His attitude is what could possibly make a difference

ReputationRep:

he will be totally fine and i'm sure he'll fit in besides there are so many people in uni who are of different ages so I don't think it'll be a problem at all!

He will be fine im 20 and I worked a year before going to uni yes there are some people who are really immature who havent worked a day in their life who drive me insane but there are others who are amazing and i get on great with one of my best friends is also 20 and the other one is nearly 20 years younger but more mature than me!

ReputationRep:
    I know people 24+ at Uni. You don't even notice it really, they're usually just as immature.

ReputationRep:
    He'll be fine. Ages range in my house from 19-22 and it doesn't make a jot of difference.

Age doesn't matter at uni in the same way that it did at school

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people get so uneasy about this. I'll be 20 when I start uni this year and it doesn't bother me in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    I remember the days when people just went to uni to get a degree.

ReputationRep:

Tell you cousin not to worry, he will be fine!

I started at 19/20, nothing to worry about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.