Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just can't get my head round these type of questions!I don't even know where to start!

Name:  20130516155028.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  92.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Please could you explain in layman's terms as I will find it simpler

ReputationRep:
    That Sigma sign means the sum of. So you know the sum of all the values and you know how many values you have so the mean should be OK to compute.

There is a formula for sd that uses (sum x^2) and (sum x)^2 and you have those two values too.

After that I'm no help.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man,
    I understand sigma and that the mean is just Sig(x) /80 I dont have a clue how to get the variance from just them 3 values!

ReputationRep:
    I have a formula

s = sqrt((1/(n-1)x(sum (x^2) - ((sum x)^2)/n)

What board are you doing and do you have a formula book.

ReputationRep:
    AQA Stats1B and yeah got a formular booklet,thats abit baffling what you just wrote :')

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AQA too. Was that question on a past paper or in a text book? The formula that I gave isn't in the formula book so if it was a past paper question I'm shot too 'cos I can't quote it from memory.

Unfortunately I don't know how to use the latex thing for writing formula on TSR. I'll see if I can find it somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    My stats teacher gave us a bunch of past questions but it doesnt say which paper its from, I'm quite nervous about tomorrow I managed C1 and C2 well but Stats could ruin it all!

ReputationRep:
    Here we go. The formula that I was trying to show you can be found here.

http://wps.aw.com/wps/media/objects/...2/formulas.pdf

Good luck tomorrow. I'm doing it too. I don't have any expectations except to expect that I won't do very well. Statistics is mumbo jumbo to me. Pure Maths is beautiful but stats YUK

ReputationRep:
    Haha same to you thanks for your help looks like we're pretty much in the same boat

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Same boat indeed.

Glad to have helped. I don't think we need to know that formula (famous last words). I think I learn it then it won't come up then we'll both have a better chance. Hahahahaha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.