Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference between chromosomal and DNA mutation? Does DNA mutation involve a few bases only or something?

ReputationRep:
    God I did A Level biology and it's only been a year and a half since I finished and I can't remember a thing! :/ I honesty couldn't answer that question!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Dna mutation is when the specific order of nucleotides is changed due to radiation and any other chemical mutagen. Chromosome mutation is when a specific gene on the chromosome, very simply and nonscientifically, changes its position. Chromosome aberration is when the no of chromosomes differ as in down, turner, klinefelter, jacobs, patau, edwards or netafemale syndrome.

P.s. remember that chromosome mutation only in the gamete affects all cells of the future zygote.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamo123)
    Dna mutation is when the specific order of nucleotides is changed due to radiation and any other chemical mutagen. Chromosome mutation is when a specific gene on the chromosome, very simply and nonscientifically, changes its position. Chromosome aberration is when the no of chromosomes differ as in down, turner, klinefelter, jacobs, patau, edwards or netafemale syndrome.

P.s. remember that chromosome mutation only in the gamete affects all cells of the future zygote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh so DNA mutation is small scale mutation and chromosomal is large scale?

I have one more question. It says in my book that 'the 2 main classes of DNA mutations are point muations and insertion/ deletion mutations'. Are there any other classes of mutations, as it also mention inversion or repeat of a triplet on the next page? Or does inversion and repeat of triplet go under the 2 main classes?

ReputationRep:
    A repeat would count as an insertion, it's just a specific kind of insertion. And inversion is a weird one and much rarer because the sequence that's there hasn't changed, it's just been flipped around. But obviously if that happens in the middle of a gene still prevents the frame from being read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cirsium)
    A repeat would count as an insertion, it's just a specific kind of insertion. And inversion is a weird one and much rarer because the sequence that's there hasn't changed, it's just been flipped around. But obviously if that happens in the middle of a gene still prevents the frame from being read.
    So inversion is rare so isn't really included in the main classes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celina10)
    So inversion is rare so isn't really included in the main classes?
    They're not not point mutations or insertions because they are rare: they're not point mutations or insertions because those words mean specific things that don't describe inversions. (E.g. papaya is not not a vegetable or an animal because it's rare: it's not a vegetable or an animal because it just isn't those things!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cirsium)
    They're not not point mutations or insertions because they are rare: they're not point mutations or insertions because those words mean specific things that don't describe inversions. (E.g. papaya is not not a vegetable or an animal because it's rare: it's not a vegetable or an animal because it just isn't those things!)
    Oh I see, thank you

Can I ask you something? How would a mutation not cause change to an organism if it's in a non coding region of the DNA? Don't non-coding regions of DNA have regulatory functions? Or do some regions of DNA have no function?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    An inversion would be included in a minor class that constitute chromosomal mutations .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by celina10)
    Oh I see, thank you

Can I ask you something? How would a mutation not cause change to an organism if it's in a non coding region of the DNA? Don't non-coding regions of DNA have regulatory functions? Or do some regions of DNA have no function?
    Portions of the dna with heterochromatin never expressed their genes and have no major function. A mutation there would go amiss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.