Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me the lowdown on unemployment.
    Causes, effects, definitions of stuff like 'search unemployment' etc.

I'm too lazy to get off my fat ass and read a book. Besides, teaching me aids your revision so go for it

But seriously, jokes aside, it is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing edexcel and we need to know about unemployment for unit 2

Main cause of unemployment can be anything thats shifts AD/AS inwards as RNO (X axis) decreases which leads to increase in unemployment

4 Types of Unemployment:

Structural Unemployment- workers dont have the right skill set to get job e.g in 1980's alot of miners faced structural unemployment as they didn't have skills to work in public sector. To solve it the government can spend in education and training (supply side policy) and then there are all the adv and dis

Real Wage Unemployment- NMW increases which increases production cost so firms have to lay off workers as way to stay competitive

Cyclical Unemployment- there is a recession so AS shifts inwards causing lower profits to firms so they lay off workers

Frictional Unemployment- When workers get fired the time they take to find a new job. in that time period they are unemployed which is frictional unemployment. ( this is the best type of unemployment as it is only short term)

Effects of Unemployment:

To individual- Decrease (Dc) in living standards as disposable income decreases, increases stress and health conditions, longer they stay out of work more unattractive they are to workers to get employed

To Government- increase (Ic) in spending in the form of unemployment benefits as more people unemployed , Dc in tax revenue...get less in income and co-operation tax.

To Firm- Dc in D for goods and services will lead to Dc in profits..affected by negative multiplier effects BUT less pressure for higher wages as workers dont want to lose their jobs

Hope that helps...dont know if i missed anything out :s

ReputationRep:
    dole seekers m8

ReputationRep:
    That was of course a piss take, I don't really preach dole seeking or take part it that shizzle myself -.-

ReputationRep:
    seasonal unemployment as well, where you work for periods of time due to demand at different times of the year.
    like christmas temps or a hotel worker in the summer

ReputationRep:
    Structural - When economy changes nature e.g. agriculture - manufacturing meaning retraining needs to be done so there is likely to be LT manufacturing

Seasonal - Seasonal changes so demand for some jobs lower
    e.g. santa

Frictional - Transitional because people are moving between jobs, short term. Poor info on available jobs will lengthen the search

Cyclical - part of the economic cycle, recession etc.

ReputationRep:
    Wicked. Excellent contributions everyone. I understand now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.