The Student Room Group

OCR AS Classical civilisation help- City life in Roman Italy

Hi. My exam is tomorrow and right now I am very unsure of what I actually need for the exam.
How much detail is required for the decoration of the housing? I understand the styles and paintings and what each part of a house is for but thats about it.
Also what do I need to know about the inscriptions?
Reply 1
Hi. I took this exam last year and got a good A and some of my class is retaking it tomorrow. For decoration, I know in the past the board has asked specifically in about how are houses decorated such as in the 2009 paper "Wealthy citizens in Herculaneum and Ostia used decoration in their houses and gardens to
reflect their interests and beliefs.’ How far do you agree with this statement [25] so I think its really important to know. It would be good especially in essay about houses because what does the decoration say about the owner? Think about social identity and what the houses say about that owner for example: a big house would say he's rich, the house is very well decorated with nth style fresco's/paintings. This shows that he wanted to impress visitors with the well decorated rooms. I think that he could be in politics as he has a large banqueting room to entertain and his house was built to impress visitors etc.....(House of Menander). Decoration deff does help!!!! Inscriptions do help to back up your points and it shows the examiner you are considering all different types of evidence. Hope all this helps!
Reply 2
My daughter is taking this exam in June 2014 as self/home taught. She did a similar topic for GCSE Classical Civ. We have quite a number of relevant books and we have visited all the sites (as holiday rather than study :smile: ).

It is a shame that there don't seem to be any study/revision books for the module. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations of 'must have' or 'must do' stuff for the module? Or do we just try to muddle through as best we can?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending